Sarissa 20mm terrrace houses

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Sarissa 20mm terrrace houses

Post by MLB »

I've had a bunch of the Sarissa terrace buildings sitting in the to-do pile for a while now and I've finally got around to making them. As always MDF buildings need some attention to give them some character and hide some of the more obvious MDF features. I have a tutorial on my blog with more details if you're interested but I'm pleased with the transformation. The tutorial is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... ouses.html

The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
john de terre neuve

Re: Sarissa 20mm terrrace houses

Post by john de terre neuve »

Very nicely done. I find the Sarissa 20 mm line is the best out there for this scale.

John
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I like the effect of that sandstone paint. It looks like you paint it straight on to the MDF; does it adhere OK? I note you later prime and paint; but do you think you could use it as your as a base and then highlight? If you did that, would it need a further sealant? I'm a lazy terrain maker and a fairly lousy painter, but I did rather like the effect it achieved even before you then finished the painting!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

Very nice indeed. I'm with Capt Fortier - do you think a darker base coat of the textured paint would work as the base coat? it does look good, improves the drabness of plain MDF.
I also liked the addition of shutters into the rubble, a small thing perhaps but one that really adds to the finish.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 am I like the effect of that sandstone paint. It looks like you paint it straight on to the MDF; does it adhere OK?
Yes, it adheres no problem, it's an acrylic based paint and water soluble so quite easy to use.
Capt Fortier wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 am I note you later prime and paint; but do you think you could use it as your as a base and then highlight? If you did that, would it need a further sealant? I'm a lazy terrain maker and a fairly lousy painter, but I did rather like the effect it achieved even before you then finished the painting!
The reason I prime is to seal the roof tiles and the grey board which is used for the shutters and doors and their frames. It can also help prevent any warping. That said, you are absolutely right, no reason not to use it as a base. You could give it a wash and highlight, or just highlight depending on the final colour you want. I still think you might want to seal the roof and other materials but you could do that with diluted PVA if need be.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

gilliessim wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:48 am Very nice indeed. I'm with Capt Fortier - do you think a darker base coat of the textured paint would work as the base coat? it does look good, improves the drabness of plain MDF.
Good point but I don't think it comes in many colours, it's supposed to be an instant stone effect and I seem to recall the range of colours was limited, but I could be wrong.
gilliessim wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:48 am I also liked the addition of shutters into the rubble, a small thing perhaps but one that really adds to the finish.
Thanks. I finally got around to painting the rubble, so here's a picture:

The Tactical Painter
gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

oh that is nice, it really does looks like it has fallen from that very building. That is a rather spiffy idea which I think I shall try myself in the near future. Thank you.
Noted on the paint - I'll need to have a look around what's available around here. Is suppose you'd still need to prime the roof as the tiles wouldn't want that texture I think?