A small AWI action (75 point armies)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bandrsntch

A small AWI action (75 point armies)

Post by bandrsntch »

Captain Reid

Re: A small AWI action (75 point armies)

Post by Captain Reid »

Interesting write-up, thanks.

You're right about 2 point Militia (and 3 point Militia too, to an extent), which is, I think, something that happens because most points calculation systems tend to break down as they approach extremely low or high values. I think this is exacerbated if Militia are fielded in 10s, though it is still present if they are fielded in 8s.

I also think Militia need to have very weak Command to perform as expected. Their sheer number of muskets for their points can make them very effective in a long range fire fight. I quite like a rough guideline of one status level per 6 points (so 3 Groups of 6 point line might have a Leader II and a Leader I, whereas 2 Groups of 3 point Militia would have a Status I), with some leeway to allow for better officers for certain forces. The fact that a Leader III is more than three times as useful as a Leader I and nearly twice as useful as a Leader II (who himself is more than twice as potent as a Leader I) adds complexity to the issue. I notice your 4 Groups of militia have 6 levels of command between them and I'd say that was a key part of the problem - if they'd had just two leaders for the four Groups, say a Status I Lieutenant and (perhaps) a Status II Captain then they'd still be comparatively well officered for their points.

It's tricky though, because militia do need to be effective if handled well - otherwise they can turn into a pure liability.

I'm not sure how your double Tiffin system works for turn end. I guess it's both need to be out? If so, that's quite a nice way of increasing chapter end without horribly disrupting that chances of accumulating command cards in a single turn.

You're quite right that you must under no circumstances allow an isolated Group of Skirmish Troops to be fired upon by a line (of any sort). You need to keep your Skirmish Troops within 4" of at least one other unit if they might be threatened by a line. This is easiest to do if you have two or more units of Skirmish Troops of course and the tendency seems to be often for people to only field one or two at most in starting games.

As an aside, we house rule that Skirmish Troops always count as in Hard Cover to Artillery fire, otherwise it seems to me to inflict disproportionate casualties upon them. I'm not sure if you found that also.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

Capt Reid,
Interesting reply. I've just "returned" to SP2 playing AWI and had read the original westsoundwarrior AAR with interest - and thought the writer raised an interesting question about the durability of Militia. Intriguing that you addressed it by recommending Militia get lesser levels of leadership to make units more brittle rather than tweaking rules for Milita units themselves.
I see that it's possible for a side to have lower starting Force Morale if they have over 1/2 militia units so it wouldn't seem unreasonable given this discussion to consider, say, -1 Force Morale for 25% units being Militia,
I'm wondering how experienced players whose games include some Militia feel about this issue. On one hand, the Militia at Breed's Hill stayed put long enough to suffer an angry bayonet charge by the bloodied attackers while at other encounters they were much more brittle.
What are your thoughts?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Interesting AAR and discussion. No point system is ever perfect in my experience and relying on the Sharpulator for balanced results doesn't always work when using units at the extreme end of the points system like Militia. Given the variability in Militia performance historically I am not sure if a single entry can ever serve as any more than a guide and starter for 10.

I agree with Captain Reid about the critical impact of the levels of Leadership on the effectiveness of Militia Formations. Given the kind of Leadership levels you might expect in a Regular unit and they can stand and do some real damage. Restricted it as he suggests to one Leadership level per 6 points and they will struggle to manage shock and can be driven off if the Regular make use of their own characteristics effectively.

Obviously this can and should be varied if you are trying to represent particular historical units performance. Sometimes the Militia were well led and put up a real fight, other times they were one shot wonders effectively and you should reflect this in their characteristics for that game.

I would certainly be sparing in the use of Crashing Volley as standard for example, albeit expensive in Command Cards if it is used well it can be pretty devastating on an attacking Formation. I would be inclined to limit it to the better trained formations.

I also wonder if Simon Walker's tweak for Native Americans sensitivity to casualties would work for Militia, so that they take an additional point of Shock for every kill. As it stands their larger group size makes them more resilient to casualties than I think they should be. You could even double the shock penalty for particularly reluctant and brittle units.

The key thing to remember is that the army lists are not set in stone or the last word and can be tweaked as players think appropriate to reflect the particular circumstances of any campaign.
John

Peter

Post by Peter »

Archdukek wrote: I also wonder if Simon Walker's tweak for Native Americans sensitivity to casualties would work for Militia, so that they take an additional point of Shock for every kill. As it stands their larger group size makes them more resilient to casualties than I think they should be.
This.

FrenchricusRex

Post by FrenchricusRex »

I third that Archduke.

I was actually thinking "who had that good idea about adding shock to natives...? because that would be great for Militia."

ALSO: Awesome AAR. I enjoy all of your Sharp Practice postings.