Core List/Sharpulator Contradictions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Captain Reid

Core List/Sharpulator Contradictions

Post by Captain Reid »

As this seems to crop up as a query from time to time I thought we might collate this stuff in a single thread. It would, I think, be worth people double/triple checking these, because it seems quite easy to make an error using the Sharpulator, especially when approaching a 'border' between point adjustments (eg between +1 and +2 points) - or maybe I'm just a bit thick. Anyroad I'd be most grateful if anyone can be bothered to take the time. . .

I've done everything from the rulebook except cavalry entries, which I will come to as time may allow. However I'm uncertain as to whether all cavalry are grouped with Skirmishers, etc or whether Impact Cavalry count as Line. The latter would explain some apparent anomalies but would seem to create others.

French-Indian War British & Allies

- 1756+ British Regulars look to be 6 points by the Sharpulator, not 7 as in the book.
- 1758+ British Highlanders, 6 points by Sharpulator, 7 in the book
- Indian Allies, 6 points by Sharpulator, 7 in the book (query: should Prominent Leader not be a negative characteristic? If it should be then they'd be 5 by the Sharpulator)
- Settlers, 4 points by Sharpulator, 3 in the book

all other French-Indian War British & Allies entries look correct.

French-Indian War French & Allies

- Milice Canadiene, 8 points by Sharpulator, 7 in the book
- Coureures de Bois, 12 points by Sharpulator, 9 in the book (query: should they have Rifles as listed? If they should in fact have Muskets then by the Sharpulator they would be correct at 9)
- Indian Allies, 6 points by Sharpulator, 7 in the book (query: should Prominent Leader not be a negative characteristic? If it should be then they'd be 5 by the Sharpulator)
- Settlers, 4 points by Sharpulator, 3 in the book

all other French-Indian War French & Allies entries seem correct

American War of Ingratitude British & Allies

- British Grenadiers 1778+, 7 points by Sharpulator, 8 in the book (however if, as I suspect, the Sharpulator is meant to continue rising in bands of 3 then 8 would be correct as the Grenadiers have +13 in attribute costs)
- British Light Infantry in Line 1778+, 7 points by Sharpulator, 8 in the book (however if, as I suspect, the Sharpulator is meant to continue rising in bands of 3 then 8 would be correct as the Light Bobs have +13 in attribute costs)
- British Light Infantry Skirmishers 1778+, 8 points by Sharpulator, 9 in the book (however if they should be Formation - Always then 9 would be correct)

American War of Ingratitude Rebellious Colonists

- Rebel Militia,3 points by Sharpulator, 4 in the book
- Continental Line 1778+, 7 points by Sharpulator, 6 in the book
- Continental Light Infantry Skirmishers 1778+, 12 points by Sharpulator, 9 in the book (points in book are correct for Muskets, not Rifles)
- Rebel Militia Skirmishers, 4 points by Sharpulator, 5 in the book
- Frontiersman Skirmishers, 8 points by Sharpulator, 7 in the book

Peninsular War British

- British Line Infantry, 7 points by Sharpulator, 6 in the book
- British Highlanders, 7 points by Sharpulator, 6 in the book
- British Light Company in Line, 7 points by Sharpulator, 6 in the book

Peninsular War Portuguese

- Portuguese Cacadores Atiradores 1808+, 10 points by Sharpulator, 9 in the book (as an aside, it is a complete outrage that these are not rated as Light Infantry . . .)

Peninsular War Spanish

- Spanish Foreign Regiments, 5 points by Sharpulator, 6 in the book
- Guerilla Skirmishers, 6 points by Sharpulator, 5 in the book (presumably the Sabre weapon is a mistake and it's meant to be Muskets)

Peninsular War French

- French Voltigeur Skirmishers 1813-1814, 7 points by Sharpulator, 5 in the book

American Civil War Confederates

- Confederate Skirmishers, 10 points by Sharpulator, 11 in the book

American Civil War Union

- Union Infantry 1861-1863, 5 points by Sharpulator, 6 in the book
- Union Infantry Skirmishers, 10 points by Sharpulator, 11 in the book

Indian Mutiny British and Company

- British Regulars with Muskets, 7 points by Sharpulator, 7 in the book (however if the principle is - as per AWI Grenadiers above and British Regulars with Enfields below - that the 'bands of three add +1' applies to costs then they should be 8 points)
- British Regulars with Enfields, 9 points by Sharpulator, 10 in the book (however as above, 10 is probably correct)
- HEIC European Infantry with Enfields, 7 points by Sharpulator, 8 in the book
- British Skirmishers, 11 points by Sharpulator, 12 in the book
- Native Skirmishers, 9 points by Sharpulator, 8 in the book (unless these should be Irregular Skirmishers in which case they'd be correct)

Indian Mutiny Mutineers

- Badmashes with Big Choppers, 5 points by Sharpulator, 4 in the book (unless they should be Wallahs, not C&V as listed)
Last edited by Captain Reid on Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Redbad

Re: Core List/Sharpulator Contradictions

Post by Redbad »

Took a few minutes to check the FIW Lists:
You are right about all of those entries except for the Highlander Skirmishers as they are Light Infantry they start on List7 and with +5 in the Skirmisher Class this adds +1 Level to place them at 8. FYI The book should say Milice Canadienne not Milice Canadiene. The Coureurs de Bois (correct plural) were armed with muskets, not rifles so your assumption is correct. I'm no expert in French, I can assure you....I just taught Music in a French Immersion school for 20 years and know enough of the language to get in trouble.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Thanks very much. I've removed the Highlander Skirmishers from the list.

I agree entirely, muskets makes more sense for the C de B and there are enough obvious errors in the weapons entries in various places to make it an error in weapon listing rather than point calculation.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

dyscordya

Post by dyscordya »

So consider these official changes?
Richard, do you have thought to put an update with bugs fixed in the basic book lists?

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

I wouldn't consider them official by any means, but I think there's enough discrepancies overall that I would tend to use Sharpulator derived costs for my own games out of preference - just for consistency.

In fairness in a lot of cases it won't make much odds but once it starts to creep towards 4 or more points worth of difference in a force total then the extra unit or support that might have been bought could begin to impact on how a game pans out.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I don't see why you need to have these made official in any way. Just use them if you want. As Captain Reid says often it will make no difference overall.
John

ALLARD Philippe

Post by ALLARD Philippe »

Redbad
Pardon my linguistic intrusion, and put it on an informal teachers solidarity which I hope you will demonstrate equally by correcting my clumsy english. Bois is both singular and plural. The plural would be coureurs des bois, singular coureurs du bois: then what? In fact, de bois is the form used when you mean the specific nature of the terrain you are considering, not one particular wood, not all woodland. Example: guide de haute montagne. Finally you would use the plural in case of double terms: ingénieur des eaux et forêts.

Redbad

Post by Redbad »

Many thanks, Allard Philippe, I stand humble and corrected. It would be great if you could keep us "on the straight and narrow" as those who speak English have ever butchered the French tongue. The great explorers Radisson and des Groseilliers became "Mr. Radishes and Mr. Gooseberries at the court of Charles II and the English used to call Beaujolais "Beau Jolly" no matter how often they enjoyed its bouquet.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Thanks for doing this. In preparation for our first game today. I have been going through the lists and checking things.

I very much doubt there will be any official corrections of the lists and like some have said a 1-2 point spread does not make a whole lot of difference but as it approaches a 4 point difference this becomes significant as it is an added unit of settlers or militia.

We are doing 2 FIW games today and both involve a French Raiding Party; with their corrected numbers this list is 49 rather than 45 (and this is using muskets for the CdB).

Thanks again,

John

dyscordya

Post by dyscordya »

Of course each group play may amend the lists in their own way, the question is whether Richard wanted to do so or lists should be considered to be misprints of the rulebook.