Width of Skirmish Bases in GdA2

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Cyrano

Width of Skirmish Bases in GdA2

Post by Cyrano »

Greetings,

While happily stipulating that the rules are intended to allow folks to use whatever they already have, what is the intended base width for 28mm skirmishers in GdA2?

Thanks,

Jim
vlad48

Re: Width of Skirmish Bases in GdA2

Post by vlad48 »

While the actual base width for skirmisher stands can be flexible, I think what is important is to impose a skirmish-line width system that works with any size base (even using skirm bases with single figures). Playing 28mm, I play that every stand in the line (minimum two stands) offers a "6-inch line" - so four stands would skirmish 12" of footage. I also play that if over 1/3 of a battalion is behind the skirmish line, it is considered to be "skirmished". In short, the prescribed width of the entire skirmish line is more important than the width of individual bases.
Slynx

Post by Slynx »

I think the guidance in the rules is that the skirmish base size is about 50% bigger then one of the bases. ie we use 30mm bases and therefore use 45mm skirmish bases
wpilon

Post by wpilon »

I use the same 30mm square bases I use for everybody else but spread them half a base width apart to form the screen. That way I can sabot four of them to a 60mm square base and play V&B or Blucher without rebasing.
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

We have 25mm wide infantry bases, thus our skirmish bases are 50mm wide (but only 60% of the depth of an infantry base).

It works well.
vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

On reflection it seems having wider skirmish bases helps eliminate the somewhat fussy issue of properly spreading skirmish stands to get the optimum width of skirmish line