Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Peter

Re: 2mm Romans

Post by Peter »

Yes.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I don’t think the scale of figures matters too much but the rules are designed for smaller scales for a reason. Unless you have a huge table and thousands of painted figures, it’s hard to fight bigger battles. 12 x 5 feet is as big as I can go in my garage with 28mm.

Cheers

Cyrus
batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 »

I think the minimum size figures I'd really like is 6mm. I've used this scale for WW II for many years and find that the figures are detailed enough that they paint up nicely and can be identified fairly readily as foot/mounted and usually more specifically than that. Played my fist game last night and found that even differentiating mounted figures from foot in massed formations wasn't usually possible. I also find that 2mm figures that are mounted on bases that are about as tall as the figures really tends to diminish the desired effect. At that point I think the printed armies may actually be more effective for a high level view of a mass battle. IT also seems a bit odd that the 2mm bases for Romans seem to usually show the individual cohorts deployed as essentially square blocks. I would think that the visual effect would be better if the individual cohorts were at least represented as noticeably wider than they are deep. Right now it looks like they are trying to represent the 8 rank depth with no indication that this formation would also be 60 men wide. The depth per rank is probably a bit greater than the frontage per man when maneuvering but the current 2mm bases seem to get the overall effect wrong so they look like lots of little phalanx blocks rather than troops fighting in a more linear formation.

Chris
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

6mm is better for detail and individual figures for sure rather than 2mm blocks of figures. The advantage with 2mm is in the terrain and table size, for big battles like the Pharsalus scenario being played in the States at the moment.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Finally finished two cavalry bases for my Romans! We have a Second Bedriacum/Cremona game next week, so will post a photos and a report of that.

Cheers

Cyrus

https://bucellarii.blogspot.com/2024/02 ... bases.html