Totensonntag

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Munin

Re: Totensonntag

Post by Munin »

Yes, when you consider that its main armament is effectively just another 2-lb gun, those Crusaders were frighteningly effective. But I also think that good deployment and working the Germans into a cross-fire also had a lot to do with it.
Munin

Post by Munin »

Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

Awesome! Thanks for posting.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

What a fight and what a brilliant AAR! You really are showcasing CoC's fantastic narrative capacity and fascinated to see how this campaign ends.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Munin

Post by Munin »

Thanks! This one was a real roller-coaster and now the margin in Campaign VPs is razor thin.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Munin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm ... the margin in Campaign VPs is razor thin.
This has been a real insight into the mechanics of this campaign. At first I though it looked like it was going to be a German cakewalk, but as the campaign rolls on seeing the way both the victory points and the German support points work has been fascinating. I'd be interested in your thoughts on other kinds of theatres or scenarios where the same kind of mechanisms might apply.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Munin

Post by Munin »

I think I mentioned it in the debrief section of the previous campaign turn, but people often don't believe me when I tell them that the overall balance in this campaign slightly favors the South Africans. To have a margin of 1 VP going into the (potentially) last turn of the campaign means the next game is going to be hairy for both sides. If the campaign were to finish with the same relative scores as it has right now, the result is a draw (with the South Africans claiming moral victory, of course ;) )

A lot is going to come down to how aggressive the German players want to be; the Germans get 2 VP for each unplayed Campaign Turn remaining after Scenario 6 has been won. So if they go all-out and finish quickly, that's 6 VP if they can win the next scenario (or perform an "Armored Advance"). But in order to make that work, they pretty much have to destroy the three Objective vehicles (which is even 3 more VP), but if even a single one of them escapes - especially something high-value like an ammo truck - then all of a sudden the margin of victory shrinks tremendously. And that's assuming that they don't get any tanks blasted to smithereens in the process. If everything goes their way, the Germans can still get a major victory out of this, but the margin for error is exceedingly slim. And if they have another game like those in episodes 5 or 6? Then the South Africans are going to walk away with it.

Alternately, the Germans can hold up for a turn and re-set their infantry support costs, but that too carries a certain amount of risk. It's fewer VPs for finishing early, it actually gives the South Africans VPs for dragging the campaign past Turn 7, and it gives them more support. But it increases the Germans' chances of capturing stuff, so it could potentially be a winning strategy.

As for other theaters or scenarios that could use this same kind of mechanic, I think anything where time is of the essence and resources are scarce could be a candidate. Most PSCs do a good job of putting the attacker on a clock, but to my knowledge this is the only one that increases the cost of Supports as time goes on. Situations where an attacking force has a very aggressive timetable and is liable to outrun their logistical tail is what this approach is trying to model. Other examples might be early war blitzkrieg, maybe some of the Japanese advances into Burma or China.
Dog who drinks paint

Post by Dog who drinks paint »

Another fantastic report! Thanks.