Alternative What a Cowboy Variants

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

djbamforduk

Re: Alternative What a Cowboy Variants: Three Musketeers?

Post by djbamforduk »

About possible Three Musketeers rules:
Remember that (alias) Sidney Roundwood has been working on a 17th century Paris game called 'With Flashing Blades'. There was some play testing at Steel LARD 2021 in Sheffield.
This has been overshadowed by his Samurai variant, but the latest that I heard (from Richard Clarke on one of his YouTube 'paint and chat' sessions) is that Sidney still intends to publish both variants together as a pair.
modelstaffofficer

Re: Alternative What a Cowboy Variants

Post by modelstaffofficer »

I missed that in the chat! That’s great to hear and makes sense. Now to purchase the minis in anticipation.
Trows1981

Post by Trows1981 »

SBlair wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:34 pm
sjwalker51 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:28 am My WAC variant, the last patrol of the Prince Imperial in Zululand, will have its first public outing at EborLard in September.
That sounds very intriguing. Have collected Empress miniatures for this scenario and have suitable terrain. Might you be willing to share or indeed publish any rules tweaks?
online games
Currently working on Apache Wars and Boer War variants as the WAC engine should work well.

Scott
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Snowy

Post by Snowy »

Capt Fortier wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:09 am I think WaC could lend itself to some stealthy WW2 raiding options too ("What a Raider" (WaR?)) - and I certainly hope we'll see some fan-based WAC variants getting a run here
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had tried a WW2 style WaC game yet?

Would love to do a British Para's, behind enemy lines type of mission. Already picked up the 02 box of figures, definitely needed the German Shepherds.

Any info' greatly received.

Snowy
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Snowy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:39 pm I was wondering if anyone had tried a WW2 style WaC game yet?

Would love to do a British Para's, behind enemy lines type of mission. Already picked up the 02 box of figures, definitely needed the German Shepherds.
Nick and Big Rich have been "Going Commando" with what looks more a variant of Chain of Command - with small squads and stealth and night rules &c - getting some airtime on TooFatLardies twitter/X account
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Snowy

Post by Snowy »

Capt Fortier wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:15 am
Snowy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:39 pm I was wondering if anyone had tried a WW2 style WaC game yet?

Nick and Big Rich have been "Going Commando" with what looks more a variant of Chain of Command - with small squads and stealth and night rules &c - getting some airtime on TooFatLardies twitter/X account
Ok, sounds interesting but not quite what we are looking for.

Plan was each Commando would be a 'Cowboy' and the Germans would be almost AI.

To the drawing board I guess.

Cheers

Snowy
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I think what you're planning would work well - especially for those missions with only a handful of men (4-5). Have a look at the Silver Whistle's sentry rules - http://wargamingwithsilverwhistle.blogs ... heavy.html - you have to scroll passed the pictures to get to these - designed for CoC, but would give you some of your Axis AI. (I've been playing around with a similar approach for the SBS in the Aegean for the Italian and German enemy, using a mix of characters and henchmen, and with a range of responsiveness/animosity.)
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny