Fields in Normandie around D-day

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

coleslaw

Fields in Normandie around D-day

Post by coleslaw »

Hi, playing CoC in 15mm, right now we're running 29 Let's Go (Normandie in June -44) and I want fields on the table. Right now we're playing with door mats, but that looks more like late summer what fields, doesn't it?
So how should the fields look in June -44, and how does one build them for 15mm gaming. Any ideas, tutorials, links?

Current battlefield
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UspJy3sKNH6WbWc47
Levi the Ox

Re: Fields in Normandie around D-day

Post by Levi the Ox »

Lovely board!

Was curious and after a brief google search stumbled across this discussion: https://community.battlefront.com/topic ... s-in-june/

Summary: Grazing pastures for animals were very common, likely more so than crop fields. A very wide variety of crops were grown, which would be at different stages of their cycles. Wheat then grew taller than the modern strains do, and was not planted as densely.

Elsewhere I've seen after action reports reference both "chest high wheat" around Caen as well as "stubble wheat" in the bocage, the latter implying some had already been harvested before the fighting. If you look for more info keep in mind that "corn" in a European context often refers to local grain crops (wheat/oats/rye), not New World maize.

In short, what you've got seems totally suitable, but if you want more variety more power to you. There are a couple of methods I've used to give doormat fields some extra texture. You can run a blade across it at different angles to cut the fibers to create a beaten down fringe or make the impression of rows of crops. You can also apply paint, static grass, or clump foliage to the edge of the mat.
Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

o make some of my 'welcome mat' cropfields look a bit more early season and a bit less uniform & 'doormattish', I give them rough hack/trim with scissors, dust them over lightly with spray paints (Brunswick green then lime), and glue in occasional patches of weeds (plastic foliage bits) and seed stalks (natural sourced Cyperus seedheads).
MAJ Disaster

Post by MAJ Disaster »

Great info, very useful for going that extra bit to make the boards look more realistic:D
MAJ Disaster

Post by MAJ Disaster »

Great info, very useful for going that extra bit to make the boards look more realistic :D