Darting Blow

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Crusty Colonel

Darting Blow

Post by Crusty Colonel »

Hi there,
So the Scotti play a Darting Blow card as they attack the Saxons. Does this mean:
1. They charge in, fight one round of combat with both sides rolling to hit, and then withdraw 2D6, or
2. They charge in, fight one round of combat unopposed, and then withdraw 2D6?

I used to play the latter, but it made the Scotti too powerful. Plus, it doesn't seem very likely that a whole group / mass formation could strike blows without getting anything in return.

Grateful for some sage advice!
JimLeCat

Re: Darting Blow

Post by JimLeCat »

It just says they can withdraw after one round of combat, so that's exactly how we've always played it. They charge in, both sides fight the one round of combat, then they withdraw.

It's still a great move under the right circumstances. Hit an enemy with lots of cards in your favour, then back off before you get bogged down in an ongoing fight. Better yet, hit them from the flank or rear with a carpe Diem, then withdraw before they get to turn round.
Crusty Colonel

Post by Crusty Colonel »

Yup, sounds about right.
Thanks Jim.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks Jim, much appreciated, not fielded my raiders yet and wasn't sure how darting blow should work, does anyone out there play it as just the attacker getting to fight?
Crusty Colonel

Post by Crusty Colonel »

I think part of the confusion is the wording on p18 of the Raider supplement:
"Darting Blow - this allows an attacker (not defender) to fight one round of combat and then withdraw 2D6 inches ..."

I suspect this really means that you can't use the card in a defensive manner. Ie if araider group is attacked, they can't disengage / withdraw after one round of combat. Other cards allow you to do this.
nutritioussprit

Post by nutritioussprit »

Mike wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:17 pm Thanks Jim, much appreciated, not fielded my raiders yet and wasn't sure how darting blow should work, does anyone out there play it as just the attacker getting to fightsnake io?
Though I appreciate that the compendium was supposed to clarify some of the issues, I truly like Dux B, but I do feel that some of the writing is a little confusing. As a result, I find it difficult to really get into the era and the rules.