Barbarossa to Citadel, Scenario 6 Part 1 How to deal with the Ferdinands

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Lowdice

Barbarossa to Citadel, Scenario 6 Part 1 How to deal with the Ferdinands

Post by Lowdice »

Hi all,

We played the above Scenario 6 from the Barbarossa to Citadel last week. As Russian I got absolutely whacked. Losing a Battalion order and a platoon in the initial bombardment I never was able to get any artillery and lost 6 deployment orders consecutively in the first two bounds.

However the most telling were the two Ferdinand’s. They attacked on a flank, sat just inside battle range and blasted everything. Nothing would damage them. SU 122, both KV 1s and a/t guns bounced off them and were promptly destroyed. German infantry attacked the BUAs and when thrown out, the Russian infantry were decimated by the Ferdinand’s.

So the question is, how did anyone else deal with them?

And yes, I had hasty mines, minefield, sniper and mortars.

Lowdice
wpilon

Re: Barbarossa to Citadel, Scenario 6 Part 1 How to deal with the Ferdinands

Post by wpilon »

A friend of mine and I are working our way through the book, but we haven't gotten to that scenario yet.

Smoke from the Battalion mortars, dropping artillery on them, and maneuvering to get flank shots all come to mind.

Other than that, maybe small mammals that eat the eggs? :-)
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

LD,

a) If the Ferdinands stand off use smoke from you battalion mortars. This will remove the threat of long range attacks or force them to relocate.

b) If the Ferdinands move or advance use your Long 57mm as a reserve to deploy onto a handy combat patrol - it can then achieve a flank attack.

c) As mentioned - use off-board artillery. Next time you'll have to buy the artillery liaison officer some vodka so he actually answers the phone!

d) If they close in amongst the building then infantry assault - they are pretty poor vs. a tank hunting attack.

Do not attack them frontally.

Hope that helps.

DB
Lowdice

Post by Lowdice »

Thanks to DB and wpilon for the comments.

I’m afraid the Germans had read the manual as well.

I didn’t receive any double 6’s and as a result started and finished with 1 Battalion order. The artillery officer drank all the vodka and was thus unable to find the phone.

I tried smoke but it didn’t force him to come closer.

He surrounded his Ferdinand’s with infantry and didn’t come near or present flanks at any time.

I did make a mistake with the 57mm. I assumed, obviously wrongly, that because it was in reserve it had to deploy from table edge and couldn’t deploy onto a cp. Good learning point.

My opponent fought well, the Ferdinand’s and Brumbarr were all deployed together, and supported the infantry attacks very effectively. My dice throws were poor, never got initiative at any time.

Perhaps I should just chuck those eggs suggested by wpilon. Anyway an enjoyable game.

Lowdice
Tonyhobbz

Post by Tonyhobbz »

Hi, you don't need to roll double sixes to get a Battalion Order as a second rate battalion. A single six gets you a battalion order.
IF you roll multiple sixes then one is converted to a company order, the rest are battalion orders
Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Delighted to say you do if you are a Second Line unit (7.7 pg 26).

CP

PS Dont you just love elephants. We dont see them too often, but when you do ......
Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Actually 7.5
Tonyhobbz

Post by Tonyhobbz »

7.5 third line " a single roll of 6 is NOT converted " ( into a company order ).

Thus it is a Battalion order.

Easy mistake to make.
Peter

Post by Peter »

OK, today is a learning day. I made that mistake the other day, though it didn't stop the French closing down the German bridgehead at Dinant. 😁