Support units and overwatch

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Root14

Support units and overwatch

Post by Root14 »

Hello,
Can’t find the answer to these question so posting here. Can mortars go on overwatch? What about covering fire. Also can leaders place vehicles on overwatch/covering fire and are they allowed to move that phase if they do? Thanks
Peter

Re: Support units and overwatch

Post by Peter »

I'd suggest mortars could only be on overwatch when firing directly (ie at targets the mortar team itself can see). Indirect fire would be too slow.

Regarding vehicles, a leader can place one position on overwatch for one CP. This could be done after normal movement (I think), but I not if going at top speed.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Interesting question with the mortars. I woikd allow light mortars/grenade launchers who are spotting for themselves to go on overwatch but not others.

We allow afv' moving to go on overwatch the same as they can shoot. E.g. move 1D6 and main gun or MG can go on overwatch, 2D6 only MG can go on overwatch.

IIRC Covering fire requires the shooting team to do nothing else that phase including moving. I would have made US marching fire special rule as covering fire instead of normal fire. :shock:
Root14

Post by Root14 »

Thanks for the reply’s gents makes sense to me. I have been playing that light mortar can go on overwatch with direct line of sight. AFVs can use one CI to go on overwatch or covering fire with the MG or just overwatch with the main gun as long as they only move 1D6. Stationary can put both on overwatch.

Interesting about the matching fire rule TT that actually seems to make more sense than half dice, which is way more lethal than in reality. Wonder how that would work with overwatch rules tho since you can’t move.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Special exemption to the normal covering fire after all it is a special rule 😁
Iztvan

Post by Iztvan »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:47 amI would have made US marching fire special rule as covering fire instead of normal fire.
Very much this!
Twitter @Staffan_G