Morale levels in GDA2

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

vlad48

Morale levels in GDA2

Post by vlad48 »

Hello,
I am wondering if the "streamlining" of rules in GDA2 includes anything to simplify the multitude of different states of negative morale in GDA 1.
Aside from brigades being Hesitant, you had Falter, Demoralized, Unformed, Route and Retreat - all with subtle but important differences and impacts that forced one to keep a Morale cheat sheet handy during games.

This may have been covered elsewhere but have there been changes to how morale works in the second edition?
nikjen66

Re: Morale levels in GDA2

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Vlad,

Morale around Discipline Tests are much simpler, there are no modifiers as such but a ‘sliding scale’ which is really east to follow where troops class determines whether they fail/pass. The scale of that troops so are worn/unformed/charged in flank count 1 class worse for each factor whilst troops with Glory, or who are poor quality but in column/square or have a general attached with the Glory tasking are treated one class higher for each. So it’s really easy to identify which factors apply to the DT, roll the dice and instantly see the result.

There are still the hesitant, faltering, wavering, demoralised brigade statuses but these are fairly easy to follow from memory or the QR sheet. Individual units now only withdraw (this just uniforms them), Retreat or disperse. There is no rout.

The effects of all of the above are very easy to understand without constant reference to the main body of the rules, and most have a clearly visual reminder (hits, disorder, troop quality or Brigade status).

We played a 10 game scenario last to a conclusion from set up to pack up in under 3 hours!
Last edited by nikjen66 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad David has tweaked the Morale rules to make them cleaner. Sounds like this will be another welcome factor to speed game play.
Marshal Rob

Post by Marshal Rob »

Hi Nikjen66,
You wrote "We played a 10 game scenario last to a conclusion from set up to pack up in under 3 hours!" I assume you meant to write 10 turn game, but more importantly, how big was the game? How many divisions of foot and brigades of mounted? Was it a Corps per side, or smaller or larger?
This is the most importent issue for me in General d' "Armee" V2.
Cheers
M. Rob
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Rob, good spot, and yes I did mean 10 Turns 😂😂. It was the first scenario in the Vitoria campaign book, so it is quite basic and there are no cavalry. Anyone that’s played either version of GdA will be aware that cavalry adds an additional layer, not of complexity, but of things to consider.

There were 4 or 5 players, it’s a bit of social as well so we may have taken a little longer than needed but we got the games done.

As a comparison a friend and I played a pick up game, GDA2 does this excellently without using a ‘points’ system with options for small, medium, large games. We played a medium sized game- so 6 brigades a side including cavalry and additional artillery. Both armies had about 20 units but this was still a ‘divisional’ sized game.

15mm, 6x4 table. Attack on a couple of villages. Done and dusted from set up terrain to packing away figure 3.5 hours!
Marshal Rob

Post by Marshal Rob »

Hi Nikjen66,
6 brigades a side would have to be at least 24 unit ( inf battalions and cav regiments and batteries), assuming V2 still doesn't allow a single unit brigade....so 2 unit brigades? We play 6mm and are looking for fast multi divisional (not brigade) actions, so it seems GdA V2 will still require 2 nights gaming for a resolution for us.
My mad passion is to do Auerstadt. At the Hassenhausen part of the battle the French have 2 divisions, the Prussians have 3. If you extend north to Spielberg with Friant's outflanking manouver then the French have 3 Infantry divisions and a division/brigade of 3 Cav regiments. Each of these 3 Prussian divisions has 10 infantry battalions and 2 Cav regiments. This is just a part of the overall battle. The Prussians had a potential for more Divisions, but C3 failed them. Davout only had his corps and his excellent C3 (command control communication). I think it is the ultimate battle to test a rule set which represents C3 in the Napoleonic era.(There you go, I stuck my neck out on that one!)
Cheers
Rob