Barbed Wire.(C) [TM]

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Corvusboreus

Barbed Wire.(C) [TM]

Post by Corvusboreus »

The first design of metal barbed wire was submitted by L Smith in 1867, and by 1874 J Glidden had patented the ubiquitously familiar pattern.

Use of barbed wire to create linear obstacles proliferated through late 19th to early 20thcentury for both agriculture and military uses.
By the time WW1 had settled into a state of semi-static entrenched siege, soldiers were field extemporising the first concertina wire.

In "Nothing of Importance" (a record of 8 months at the front with a Welsh battalion October 1915 to June 1616) published 1917, Bernard Adams describes soldiers wrapping and tying barbed wire around a jig of 7 picket stakes to create 10 yard length of ready to deploy concertina obstacle.

H Dammert then industrialised the process of manufacturing military concertina wire in the early 1930s

Long story short, barbed wire strands can appear on tabletops from 1870s on, and some concertina wire can confidently be shown (in Western front settings) from 1916 onward.

Here's a link to a video on my method of crafting reasonably realistic looking lengths of flexible mini barbed wire out of plastic mesh (sourced from orange bags) and tie wire;
https://youtu.be/jIfYUAwsiKI?si=6nDYDl4A2sGtn_yY
Last edited by Corvusboreus on Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelingram

Re: Barbed Wire.(C) [TM]

Post by michaelingram »

I watched all video. Barbed wire wall and 2 men below are so impressive.
Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

Cheers for the feedback.
I'm pretty stoked with the result, which looks really nasty but has absolutely no bite.
I have been making multiple lengths to barb up the top strands of all my existent wire farm fencing, which has the bonus effect of strengthening each section..
hanajijang

Post by hanajijang »

I've viewed the entire video. The barbed wire wall and the two men below left a strong impression on mevampire survivors.