Rule of thumb for number of artillery missions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

jlancaster

Rule of thumb for number of artillery missions

Post by jlancaster »

Hello, is there a good rule of thumb to use when altering the number of available artillery missions in specific scenarios following the suggestion on p. 70?
Andrew

Re: Rule of thumb for number of artillery missions

Post by Andrew »

In North-West Europe 1944-5 and later Russians, the overwhelming artillery would really distort a game of O Group. I would probably tweak the opening barrage rule instead of being too liberal with artillery missions.

For games where the German player has regimental 120mm mortars, you could give the Allies more artillery missions than the typical 2 or 3.
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

jlancaster wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:01 am Hello, is there a good rule of thumb to use when altering the number of available artillery missions in specific scenarios following the suggestion on p. 70?
There's a couple of other levers you can pull rather than just altering the number of missions if you want to tweak effectiveness / availability
You can alter the minimum battalion orders required to bring an artillery mission down
You can alter the value needed to acquire regimental or divisional support
In my 1940 scenario's I gave the British relatively lavish artillery but removed the battalion mortars from the OOB (since they had very little available in the battles around Arras)
Forst

Post by Forst »

I normally play with German troops, and I rarely use any of all of the artillery missions. It's either my dicing or they are just too difficult to get hold of, but morters are far more reliable/useful. The 120mm option for late war is a good send!

The allied availability makes them more useful/used.

Smoke is a rarity in our battles.

I suspect the balance is about right in the rules, and the pre bombardment should be reflected in the start strengths of units.