Tanks firing as Platoons

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Slynx

Tanks firing as Platoons

Post by Slynx »

Does anyone find it feels too powerful when Tanks fire as Platoons rather then individual sections.

ie a pair of Sherman's with HE5 fire at a platoon in a BUA. They have also moved. The total HE dice rolled is 7d6 (-2d6 for the move and -1d6 for the BUA). If they dont move its a straight 9d6.

These factors seem on the high side for me, and thought that AFVs should really be firing as sections with the appropriate adjustments and possibly also having to be commanded by section (ie an Order each).

Or am I over thinking it
Peter

Re: Tanks firing as Platoons

Post by Peter »

A single order seems fair to me, but I feel that reductions should be per section.
Gun-Pit Paul

Post by Gun-Pit Paul »

That's what I would of thought.
It's the way I play it, modifiers are per section (unless told different by 'the housewives favorite').
Forst

Post by Forst »

The table header says "apply to the entire platoon"

But

Looking at the table on page 58, the first line says any infantry platoon or any AFV/gun section that has moved or is to move this phase loses two firepower dice.

This doesn't say AFV platoon but Section so if one moves -2 if both move -4? It's quite possible for one to need to move to get in arc but the other to be stationary, especially if hull mounted.

The other deductions are per Platoon? Ie buildings?
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

The rules encourage actions by AFV platoons.

Thus when acting as a platoon all modifiers are applied to the platoon (akin to infantry) and not individual AFV sections.

The Sherman 75's HE firepower is good, as it was historically. While the 75mm may have been a relatively poor anti-tank gun it was a good anti-infantry gun, and was used to good effect by the allies as they advanced through Normandy and into Germany, brassing up and lobbing HE into enemy positions as they went. This is one of the reasons why some British units, IIRC, were reluctant to adopt 76mm Shermans as the HE as poorer.

DB
jon1066

Post by jon1066 »

I think it’s a good rule. It effectively represents the tanks working together with one section advancing whilst the other shoots then vice versa. So fire power is maintained as they move rather than simply blasting away whilst on the move.
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

DCRBrown wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:29 pm The rules encourage actions by AFV platoons.

Thus when acting as a platoon all modifiers are applied to the platoon (akin to infantry) and not individual AFV sections.

The Sherman 75's HE firepower is good, as it was historically. While the 75mm may have been a relatively poor anti-tank gun it was a good anti-infantry gun, and was used to good effect by the allies as they advanced through Normandy and into Germany, brassing up and lobbing HE into enemy positions as they went. This is one of the reasons why some British units, IIRC, were reluctant to adopt 76mm Shermans as the HE as poorer.

DB
Not just the British units Dave, there was a fair amount of resistance across the US and British forces to changing the 75mm once the 76mm tanks reached the field for precisely the reason you gave.

Edited to add: The Chieftain on Youtube on the 76mm gun, here's where he says the 75mm was popular over the 76mm because of the HE round. A bit earlier he states the British weren't taking the 76mm up because by the time the 76mm had arrived in Normandy they had already shoehorned the 17pdr into the Firefly. https://youtu.be/9bQHw_n_gPs?si=cGDJmSmL2uPVyQfb&t=884
j1mwallace

Post by j1mwallace »

Strange , because if you go way back in the forum there is a long discussion where the questioner states exactly the opposite. i e HE is not powerful enough !! I feel as a player of a large number of games of O group that the balance is about right . The rules encourage actual tactical use of the platoon or individual sections as required . Obviously folks can do what they like but I've found that too much faffing around with an established , excellent ruleset just leads to the law of unintended consequences .
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

j1mwallace wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:29 am Strange , because if you go way back in the forum there is a long discussion where the questioner states exactly the opposite. i e HE is not powerful enough !! I feel as a player of a large number of games of O group that the balance is about right . The rules encourage actual tactical use of the platoon or individual sections as required . Obviously folks can do what they like but I've found that too much faffing around with an established , excellent ruleset just leads to the law of unintended consequences .
I agree, the knock on effects of house rules are often unanticipated...