fiw sailors unit profiles

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

nedwillett

fiw sailors unit profiles

Post by nedwillett »

hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has used or knows of a profile for fiw sailors, for both sides? or is there a multi period generic profile that would cover the period.
cheers, ned
Forst

Re: fiw sailors unit profiles

Post by Forst »

Found this some time back, may be of uze?

Naval.Landing Party
For a goup with pistols, cutlasses and boarding pikes:
Tribe. Mixed Melee Weapons. 6 points.
Formation - no. First Fire - no. Controlled Volley - no.
Crashing Volley - no. Step Out - 2. Drill - no.
Aggressive. Tomahawks.
I think Tribe is probably better than Conscripts & Volunteers as it gives them potentially better force
morale, which seems fair enough, and more heft in fisticuffs, which also seems pretty fair. Tomahawks
would represent the effect of the pistols discharged as they closed (as opposed to those used actually
in the melee.
For a musket armed group:
Irregular Skirmishers. Muskets. 6 points.
Formation - no. First Fire - yes. Controlled Volley - no.
Crashing Volley - no. Step Out - 2. Drill - no.
Aggressive. Tomahawks.
I’d struggle to see them as being rated more highly as I think they’d not really be wanting to stand long
against a decent enemy as the ranges close (their mates with the cutlasses and pikes being better
equipped and more numerous for that). However giving them Aggressive gives them a little more teeth
should they need to get involved up close. Tomahawks, as above, would simulate the odd pistol
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

The above, kindly given by Forst, is aimed at representing a British Napoleonic landing party in the classic Aubrey/Hornblower mode. I'm not certain that it's as applicable to the earlier navy. I'd certainly be wary of fielding crews as Tribe in the French Indian War. It might be merited, mind you, my knowledge of C18 naval shore actions is very limited.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

It would be worth having a look at Chris Stoesen's rules and lists for the "Spanish Main", the Golden Age of Piracy, in the Lardy Christmas Special for 2017. It is a little earlier (1680-1730) but would give a guide to what was likely in the 1750s/60s. It has sailors as a group of 12 militia with mixed muskets and melee weapons, but gives them a boost in fisticuffs for their melee-armed fighters
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Capt Fortier wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:06 pm It has sailors as a group of 12 militia with mixed muskets and melee weapons, but gives them a boost in fisticuffs for their melee-armed fighters
That fits better with my preconceptions, although I suspect it might depend a bit on what sort of vessel they were crewing.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.