“Formed”

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Mervyn

“Formed”

Post by Mervyn »

A setback card is taken for a formed unit pushed back. Is there a definition for “formed” - is it simply anything that isn’t described as skirmisher in the Army Lists, if so that would include cavalry and chariots?
Looking forward to first go tonight, we’ll re-run Watling Street as that doesn’t have too many units or too wide a range of unit types…
Thanks
Mervyn
MarkBackhouse

Re: “Formed”

Post by MarkBackhouse »

Yes exactly that. Infantry, cavalry, but not skirmishers.
Rilchard

Post by Rilchard »

Hi

Just to clarify, light chariots would count as a formed unit even though they have skirmishing characteristics?

Richard
Rilchard

Post by Rilchard »

Please could you clarify whether a light chariot or light cavalry unit with skirmisher characteristics counts as a formed unit or a skirmisher unit? E.g if a light chariot unit is pushed back would they receive a set back card? Would a unit of light chariots count as a formed unit or skirmisher unit when calculating break points? Thanks!
MarkBackhouse

Post by MarkBackhouse »

Light chariots or light cavalry with the skirmisher characteristic should not pick up setback cards when pushed back.
They should only count as half a point per unit when adding to the break point value.
Rilchard

Post by Rilchard »

Many thanks. I’ve just run a gAme at Clotted Lard and it was great!
MarkBackhouse

Post by MarkBackhouse »

Well done it looked a cracker. Richard was just saying how much he enjoyed it to me! I recognised it as the Medway from the pictures on Twitter immediately so you’ve done a good job!
I’m really sorry but I’m going to go back on what I said previously re: break points. Re-reading my own work I realise it should be +1 break point per unit of cavalry - so that means light cavalry and chariots even if they are skirmishers! That’ll teach me to reply and not check it first. I don’t suppose it messed your scenario up by more than a break point or two, but I’ll make sure I check next time. It’s only + 0.5 points for infantry skirmish units.
Rilchard

Post by Rilchard »

Mark

I’m glad Richard enjoyed it even though his legions were on the losing side!

I think the key thing is whether the chariots and light cavalry get a set back if they are pushed back. It that scenario it really favoured the British if they didn’t but, when I play tested it and gave set backs if they were pushed back, the Romans came out on top. Anyway, we had two good games and I’m really enjoying the rules!
Rilchard

Post by Rilchard »

I also meant to say that we had six other players who hadn’t played Strength and Honour before - they all picked it up quickly, enjoyed it and went away looking for more!