Boer War

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

Boer War

Post by john de terre neuve »

What was the name of the Boer War Rules that Rich put out. I know they were free has he bagged the project and where can I find them?
Archdukek

Re: Boer War

Post by Archdukek »

john de terre neuve wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:00 pm What was the name of the Boer War Rules that Rich put out. I know they were free has he bagged the project and where can I find them?
Are you thinking of “A Mere Question of Pluck” rules and scenarios for the Second Boer War in the Christmas 2016 Special?

John
john de terre neuve

Thanks John, I do not think so, maybe I have imagined the whole thing. I did have the ruleset, it was much older than 2016. But that name does not sound correct.
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

He did originally work on those rules some years before, and IIRC before he gave them that name. You might have had a set of playtest rules.

The other possibility that comes to mind is you might be misremembering that they were Boer War rules? They Don't Like It Up 'Em is much older and was written for Mesopotamia in WWI, but it has been used for other theatres and I think I've seen mention of people trying them for the Boer War. Could that be it?

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim
john de terre neuve

Thanks Jim, I suppose it will forever remain a puzzle!
Jacques

Post by Jacques »

Hi All

As I am busy building forces for both sides in 1/72 plastics I bought the 2016 winter special for the rules, giving them a read through now...

There seems to be a Dong card..

And mention is made of a companion set called Grand Tactical or focussed on same. Maybe that is the set that john de terre neuve is referring to ?