Noobie core ?s

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

KStasB

Noobie core ?s

Post by KStasB »

Hi - a friend and I have played a first test game using N of Caen, and have a core misunderstanding.

1 - We don't understand several examples in the core rules:

Picture example Page 40 (as printed) shows two units, a full section and also a MMG team (I presume) firing at the same time. How does this happen? Also, is the 8 shock each a coincidence of the firing?

Similarly, Page 42 shows either 2 sections attacking 3, or 3 attacking 2, in close combat. How does this multiple simultaneous thing happen?

And again, with written example Page 43 followed by pic Page 44 - 2 units attacking at the same time. How does this happen?

We are clearly missing something fundamental here!

2 - Related question - in N of Caen, the MG42s can be cascaded down to the infantry sections. So, how is this handled? Tripod mounted=MMG means 4.5.2 does not apply.

Thx in advance! Keith
Archdukek

Re: Noobie core ?sdont

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Keith,
When a Platoon’s card is drawn all the sections in the platoon can be activated either to act separately or simultaneously. So in your examples 2 or 3 sections can launch an attack at the same time. Similarly a Big Man could use his Command Initiatives to order 2 or more sections or support weapons to activate and attack or fire together.

On holiday and I don’t have my rulebook to hand to check the specific references, sorry.

John
JimLeCat

Re: Noobie core ?s

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi,

John has answered most of it, I think, in his usual clear fashion. As to the last point, while I don't have that specific item to hand I imagine it is one of two common situations. Either the MMGs are removed from the Company HQ (where they normally reside) and are allocated to the platoons, on which case the only material change is that they are activated as part of the platoon (and all the other rules on MMGs still apply); or they are allocated to the sections as extra LMGs (the tripods being left behind), thus giving the relevant sections an extra fire dice.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim
Peter

Post by Peter »

Though I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that he doesn't take his rule books on holiday with him.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Keith,
You and Peter can now relax as I have managed to gain access to my pdf copy of the rules whilst on holiday. :) ;)

The example on page 40 is contrived and is intended simply to illustrate that a Veteran section with the same amount of Shock and men as the Good Regulars has more options when they fall back. They are able to move towards Cover while the Good Regulars must move straight back.

As for the cascading MMGs, each would come under the control of the Platoon Leader whose Platoon they are attached to and will activate on the relevant Platoon Cards. So it’s no longer necessary to have the Company HQ card in the deck as it contains no units. Both the Big Men in Company HQ will have their own cards in the deck already. As you say section 4.5.2 is not relevant they remain MMGs and are not independent LMGs.

John
Peter

Post by Peter »

😊
KStasB

Post by KStasB »

Wow, thanks for many and quick responses!

sidebar - not a noobie to gaming or miniatures, absolutely love the anti-igougo aspect of this game, my neighbor is trying to adjust... :-)

on the example - got it, thx.

#2 yeah, my brain was in a futz, but saw my mistake, thx.

#1 however, I'm still seriously confused, like maybe I have a different version or something???

2.2 states movement is done by section, weapons team, individual vehicle.
4.3 states firing is done individually by section, etc., not combining
1.1 has Big Man initiating a single section for stuff, except for "Initiate a charge into close combat", my not understanding of which was going to be my next post! What does that exactly mean? I presume give a move order, but loop back to 2.2 Nothing simultaneous there, and further:
1.2.2 list actions of which none seem to be able to be done simultaneously. I had read "...allowing each section ... to act independently and in whichever order..." to mean exactly that: what they are allowed to do is independent. We played the "whichever order" to mean we can use one section's action, then another section's action, then back to the first "in whichever order". but maybe that's not right. I'm not trying to debate any rules here, but it seems like we are talking about different rule sets ??? I'm looking at PDF purchased and downloaded from TFL June 2022.

Here's a new question:

What does the leftmost column for spotting table 3.2 mean (range 0-4"), when 6. states "Close combat happens when one infantry force moves within 4" of an enemy, irrespective..."? when would this ever happen? How could the game get to tea break in this situation?

Thanks for all the help,
Keith
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi,

To try and answer your questions in order:-

Yes, you always move sections individually, never as part of a group, and you always fire them individually. You would also resolve all the actions of one section before moving to the next. *However*, if you are activating more than one section it is up to you whether their actions are considered to take place simultaneously or in sequence, or are mixture of the two. The obvious one is advancing into close combat, where you can indicate that the sections are advancing together, in which case you move each of them, then carry out the close combat when they have all moved. The only important rule is that you should declare your intentions beforehand. Think of how a leader might phrase an order, so you could say 'first section are firing on this enemy section', resolve the firing, followed by 'second and third sections will now advance to contact'.

The bit on 'initiate a charge into combat' just means that troops won't deliberately contact an enemy without an order from a leader. They will advance to close range, but it takes an order to get them to close that last gap to CC range.

They can *accidentally* bump into an enemy unit, if they don't know it's there, which is where that column on the spotting table comes in. It sometimes happens, especially when a player fails to specify limits on a unit's movement and then rolls higher than they expected, that they end up within 4" of an enemy blind. You then check whether this resolves the blind, if it does and the blind concealed actual enemy units then CC takes place. It is *possible* that very heavy terrain will mean that the spot doesn't resolve, in which case nothing happens, since a blind isn't a unit.

Hope that makes things a little clearer.

Cheers,
Jim