Available ADC's

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Cearapeter

Available ADC's

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello All

Could I ask if a single unit brigade attracts an ADC?

We are about to fight 'Maida 1805' game, from the General de Brigade - Napoleonic Scenarios 2 booklet and, as you will know it does not specify the number of ADCs available.

Thank you
nikjen66

Re: Available ADC's

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi C, normally no but as this is a scenario I’d allow one for GdA1. But, not for the artillery units, which should allocated to the brigades in that scenario.
Cheers
Nick
Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Hi Nick

In the scenario, Maida 1806', the British have four one battlion infantry brigades and a two unit infantry brigade. Five brigades for six close order infantry units. No cavalry at all and a mountain battery of two guns. Allowing each brigade an ADC would give the British five ADCs for six units

The French have one infantry brigade with three units and a second infantry brigade with four units and a cavalry brigade with one Chasseur unit plus a single infantry unit. The French have seven infantry units with two ADCs (plus one ADC with the cavalry).

I appreciate 'converting' from GdB to GdA is not an exact science, albeit we have the moral conversions pretty well sorted. Just wondered how others would play this ADC matter.

CP

PS Given one unit brigades cannot form skrimish screens, the French have a littile advantage there.
PedroBlazer

Post by PedroBlazer »

It says near the bottom of page 9 that brigades must contain a minimum of 2 close order units.
PedroBlazer

Post by PedroBlazer »

Reorganise the British infantry into 3 brigades, each of 2 battalions.
Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Thank you both.
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

In scenario book 2 for the Maida scenario the Brits have 5 brigades of which 3 have a single formed units as other units (with the exception of Ross) have smaller units represented as Skirmishers. As Pete says you could combine some of these, or allocate the artillery unit to one. I’d leave Ross as a single unit as he did arrive late on in the battle.

Playing the more compact French (3 brigades) against a more flexible British army (5 brigades) would make for an interesting game as the Brits would have more options available to them, but they would be much more fragile. But, defeating a large French brigades with a few key losses as a result of a Falter test would reflect the battle historically of course! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️