Bonanza interrupt with own side

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

bunguster

Bonanza interrupt with own side

Post by bunguster »

Hi all, I've been enjoying WaC for a while now playing once per week on average. This has allowed my group to assimilate the basics and now concentrate on the nuances that skills, Bonanzas etc provide. Hence we have lately come across some situations that we are not entirely clear about.
A series of issues requiring rules re-reading and discussions came up in todays game.

The situation is this; a Legend sheriff (call him Red 1) and two ne'er do wells ( Black 1 and Black 2) are positioned within 4" of each other in a climactic finale in the middle of an alleyway i.e. in the open.

Black 2's card comes up first and as a result of previous wounds & shock he only has 3 action dice to play, none of them allow shooting.
Black 1 then plays a Bonanza. He has 6 minus 2 action dice to interrupt with (he is a Gunslinger) and obviously Black 2 is not going to play a Fast Draw.
Black 1 has the intention of getting the drop on Red 1. However the rules state (p42) that only the active player may respond to a Bonanza interruption and this suggests that Red 1 can not make a Fast Draw response to Black 1's interruption.
We decided that in this instance as the active player was temprarily superceded by his own side that Red 1 should still have the option of making the Fast Draw.

Any thoughts on this. I'm sure in a game playtested to death ( and covering just about everything one could think of) that there will always be something that has not cropped up before.
Archdukek

Re: Bonanza interrupt with own side

Post by Archdukek »

A Character may call “Bonanza” to interrupt a friendly character’s activation, but only the active Character may respond by declaring a Fast Draw. No other Character can act.

So in your example Red 1 can do nothing, Black 1 has got the drop on him by playing a Bonanza whilst Red 1 has presumably been distracted by Black 2 and failed to react quickly enough.

John
bunguster

Re: Bonanza interrupt with own side

Post by bunguster »

I think I may have seen the solution to this, aided by a complentative claret or two.
In the situation originally outlined when Black 2 became active, Black 1 could play a Bonanza but only on Black 2 NOT on Red 1.
Hence Red 1 has no need to act on the interrupt because it cannot be on him.
This was an example of trying to be a bit too clever and creating a problem that could not exist !!
As a point of interest, is there any situation where a character would want to play a Bonanza interrupt on another character on his own side?
Maybe to get a bonus move in a supporting role for a future card draw?
It is good to see that within the rules just about everything seems to be adequately covered.

Regards
Paul C