Churchill's with 6pdrs and APDS

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

T13A

Churchill's with 6pdrs and APDS

Post by T13A »

Hi

Just wanted to check that 6pdr equiped Churchill's from 1944 can use APDS as well as the 6pdr anti-tank guns? I'm kinda assuming the answer is yes but just wanted to check (playing the first scenario from the 1944 Normandy book on Wednesday and also hoping that the Churchill Crocadile that I have ordered from Pendraken arrives in time for me to paint up for the game)!

Thanks for any help.

Cheers Paul
DCRBrown

Re: Churchill's with 6pdrs and APDS

Post by DCRBrown »

T13A,

Off the top of my head, the RA units had priority in 1944, with tanks not receiving significant amounts until late, (post sept?), 1944.

DB
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Not sure if the OP is thinking Crocs had 6 pdrs with APDS, or two seperate comments?
If the former I strongly suspect not 😁
T13A

Post by T13A »

Hi

Thanks for the comments and sorry to confuse the question with my comment about Churchill Crocadiles, I was thinking about ordinary Churchills with 6pdrs as per the scenario in the 1944 Normandy book.

Cheers Paul
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

OK was wondering. Just finished reading a book written by a Croc Commander.
Forst

Post by Forst »

Found this which may be of interest?
"Hello, today I'd like to share a British War Cabinet report that I thought some here might find interesting. This document on British tank production from 1944 mentions reports from the likes of General Montgomery and General Leese on the performance of British armour in Italy and Normandy. One report of note in the first printscreen is in regards to the effectiveness of Churchill tanks armed with the 6 Pounder (something which General Montgomery appears to have placed in a good light). Montgomery also reports that with "special H.V. armour-piercing ammunition" (APDS) is particularly effective against the German Panther tank. Montgomery also called for quarter of his Churchill tanks to be equipped in this fashion for anti-tank duty.

In the second printscreen, the Select Committee summarises the reports they recieved on the performance of British tanks. In this summarisation they confirm that Montgomery's request for more 6 Pounder equipped Churchill tanks and 6 Pounder APDS to load them with was granted, these tanks being supplied in one per group of three tanks. This means that there were Churchill tanks (Mk IIIs and IVs) fighting with 6 Pounder APDS in mid 1944 judging by the date of the report.

Here is a link to the report on the national archives website: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... ViewerLink
j1mwallace

Post by j1mwallace »

Thanks for this Forst . A good site as well . Excellent resource