Stone Cold Lard - Staffordshire, 29th April 2023

For gamers putting on TooFatLardies games at Shows and Conventions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Counterpane

Stone Cold Lard - Staffordshire, 29th April 2023

Post by Counterpane »

Given the demise of Sherwood OutLard, Richard Phillips and I wondered if we could put on an, albeit smaller and hastily organised, alternative event for the same weekend to take advantage of the fact that we already have the date saved in our diaries.

Richard runs a gaming venue, The Unit, on a farm at Stone in Staffordshire where we are proposing (at present) to put on three games accommodating (again at present) 12 players. The normal Lardy Day facilities of nearby cooking lager and chicken vindaloo aren’t available so you might want to treat this as a there-and-back-in-a-day event.

At present the games planned for Stone Cold Lard are:

A Spy in the Suburbs - a narrative-focussed Sharp Practice game set in Riga during the summer of 1812 (presented by Richard Crawley and Richard Phillips)

Assault on the Sugar Refinery 1916 - a a recreation of the Canadian assault on the sugar beet refinery at Courcellette during the battle of the Somme. The game uses the CoCing Up the Mud and the Blood rules published in the 2014 Lard Christmas Special (presented by Alex Sotheran)

The Battle of Fort Necessity - The Battle of Fort Necessity began the French and Indian War, which later spiraled into the global conflict known as the Seven Years’ War. Another Sharp Practice game (presented by Ken Welsh)

The cost for the event would be £15 per person. This includes a buffet lunch and teas and coffees throughout.

At the moment we’re just testing the water to see if there’s enough demand to justify going ahead with this idea. Given the short time period before the date, could you please let me know as soon as possible if you’d like to attend?
Amaz_Ed

Re: Stone Cold Lard - Staffordshire, 29th April 2023

Post by Amaz_Ed »

It's half an hour away, it would be rude not to. Count me in!
Counterpane

Post by Counterpane »

Amaz_Ed wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:26 pm It's half an hour away, it would be rude not to. Count me in!
Great! Please drop me a PM with your real world name and email address and I'll add you to the list.

Richard C
Counterpane

Post by Counterpane »

Just to confirm that this event is going ahead.

It may be the smallest and most hastily arranged Lardy Day in history but I think we've got a fun day ahead of us.

There may be room for a couple more players if you contact me straight away.
Counterpane

Re: Stone Cold Lard - cancelled

Post by Counterpane »

Unfortunately we have had to cancel this event due to a family matter meaning that our host, Richard Phillips, is unable to operate The Unit at present.

Sorry for the late notice. An email explaining the situation and covering refund arrangements has been sent to all involved.

Richard C
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Bad luck, hope all resolves itself. First Sherwood, now Stone Cold - is this the curse of the S-word Lard?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
djbamforduk

Post by djbamforduk »

Best wishes to Richard Phillips and Richard Crawley.

I hope that health and family problems are quickly resolved.

Thank you for at least trying to rustle up a short-notice substitute for the cancelled Mansfield games day.

Plus, thank you to Alex Sotheran and Ken Welsh for offering to bring their planned Mansfield games over to Stone.

I trust that Stone Cold LARD will be re-arranged for another date either this year or next, because I understand that The Unit is intended to be a dedicated wargames venue, so what better way to get established as a wargames venue than to host a TFL games day...?

Also, I'm not the first to insist that Stone Cold LARD is too good a name to go unused...!

;-)