Germans always win

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Triplecdad

Germans always win

Post by Triplecdad »

Are the Germans unfairly unbalanced? We have played about 20 games, various scenarios, inside Germany,Gual, even Italy, and the Roman player has NEVER won a game. The only point of drill we have not used is Shield Punch. Is that a game-changer? I thought the Romans were somewhat dominating, but not against the Germans. Anybody else run into this?
Capt Fortier

Re: Germans always win

Post by Capt Fortier »

Worth having a look at the discussion at viewtopic.php?t=15418
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Forst

Post by Forst »

As per the other thread, the problem seems to be the Ambush rules. I think the best solution is to replace the 12" ambush move with normal variable movement but give them an extra d6 to make it more like Sharpe Practice " ambushade". This means ambushes can fail by not reaching the target, forces mobs to decide if controlled or uncontrolled etc.

The impact of these amendments is a controlled charge is short range but arrived together, an uncontrolled charge has longer range, but troops arrive piece meal, as they roll individually.

Inability to react stands and use same ambush fervour rules!

I would also class chariots as skirmish cavalry!

This will give the Romans a fighting chance, the result much more dependant on card sequence and dice gods.
Triplecdad

Post by Triplecdad »

Let me take it all back. We had always played the Romans very conservatively. Close Order, always used in combat using max # of defensive dice. Games were close, but Germans won. So, last game I played them very differently. Used my bow to knock down fervor as much as possible, as is typical, then charged in with 3 groups of Heavy infantry in wedge. Met four groups of German warriors - 2 of them oathsworn. Had my aux medium group hold a flank playing defense, sacrificed my cav on the other flank. BIG CHANGE: Never had my heavy infantry go into close order. Threw pila all at once, and fought in open order and relied on armor saves. It was a massacre. Did not lose a single group, Germans went down in droves. We had just assumed close order was best. If holding a flank, yes, if you need to make sausage, go open order. Thanks for the input.
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Triplecdad wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:43 am Let me take it all back. We had always played the Romans very conservatively. Close Order, always used in combat using max # of defensive dice. Games were close, but Germans won. So, last game I played them very differently. Used my bow to knock down fervor as much as possible, as is typical, then charged in with 3 groups of Heavy infantry in wedge. Met four groups of German warriors - 2 of them oathsworn. Had my aux medium group hold a flank playing defense, sacrificed my cav on the other flank. BIG CHANGE: Never had my heavy infantry go into close order. Threw pila all at once, and fought in open order and relied on armor saves. It was a massacre. Did not lose a single group, Germans went down in droves. We had just assumed close order was best. If holding a flank, yes, if you need to make sausage, go open order. Thanks for the input.
This sounds like you didn't get ambushed?
Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

I like to receive an ambush/attack in close order to dissipate the Fervour and then convert to Open Order when the Centurion activates to use the superior armour to cut down the more lightly armoured natives. When in ambush country, move slowly in close order with shields braced!

Don
Triplecdad

Post by Triplecdad »

Did get ambushed on one side/flank, but not main unit. Bought exploratores and that helped a lot. Quack, I like your tactics. We had just always fought in close order without using open order. I should have read this forum more often .... and avoided a lot of needless Roman deaths.