Charging artillery

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Owain Atkins

Charging artillery

Post by Owain Atkins »

I have a question that arose in a game a couple of days ago.

An elite infantry unit decided( fairly rashly if you ask me) to charge some deployed artillery. The unit moved to the 5cm point an received fire from the artillery. The artillery only managed to put 2 hits on the infantry. Then going to the modifiers to resolve the charge the infantry had + 1 for elite and - 1 for two hits in the charge. Now the bit that didn't make sense to me, the artillery had no modifiers what so ever because they had taken no hits and where regular. There where no supports involved.
The infantry rolled a 6 and the artillery a 9, which means the infantry retire taking a casualty and the artillery hold.
Yes I know supports should have gone in etc but it was trying to force an outcome. I find it odd that the infantry soaked up the fire and bearing down on the enemy the gunners didn't either just run or they get a minus modifier for facing close order infantry. Should they have got a -2 like skirmishers ?
Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance

Owain
DCRBrown

Re: Charging artillery

Post by DCRBrown »

O,

Charging a battery of guns head on takes real nerve and should be difficult to achieve.

Although your infantry have come through the first rounds of fire, the Charge Combat 2D6 also represents firing.

You could see this as the last round of canister fired as the infantry attempt to close the final few yards. Hence no negative, the onus is on the infantry to close through that hideous fire and not so much on the gunners to stand.

Here's a great clip to help illustrate the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09m4X5FG5vc

Hope that helps.

DB
Owain Atkins

Re: Charging artillery

Post by Owain Atkins »

Thank you Dave