Deploying and going into close combat.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

gbaylis1957

Deploying and going into close combat.

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Are you allowed to deploy and move into close combat? If so can you use the rapid move 3d6 or are you limited tp 2d6?

Also can you fire and then go into close combat as you deploy, and if so do you fire with the normal -2d6 (as you are moving)?

G
Peter

Re: Deploying and going into close combat.

Post by Peter »

You can't deploy and move on the same order. Deployment is considered to be movement. I think you could use a commander order, but I'm not certain of the exact wording.
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Yes you could use a command order for a second activation after an initial deployment, otherwise you cannot move/assault following deployment onto a CP, as an ambush or when entering via the table edge.
gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

I may be getting confused, but when deploying from the table edge, I thought the Reserve Deployment Action - 2 Orders, gave you the ability to deploy up to two platoons from the same Company. These could then fire or move, a rapid move where all three dice are counted being allowed..

My thought was that this could get them into close combat with an enemy unit.

However, I think that the order you have to give a unit going into Close Combat is the Move and Assault Order, which I don't think is available to units being deployed on the table edge.

As you say, a Commanders order could be used as a second activation though.

Be interested to understand if this is right?

G
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi G, that’s my understanding. You can do rapid move when you deploy onto the table edge. There was a previous thread on using this to assault enemy troops that had reached and blocked your entry and I think the consensus was that you could not make an assault with troops that started ‘off table’, as you say deploying from reserve is a different type of action. Presumably deploying reserves reflects those troops moving up to the frontline rather than moving tactically to engage the enemy. Hope that helps
micstri

Post by micstri »

Unlike deployment from a CP, which counts as having moved, you deploying from the table edge is not counted as moving. Also in a separate post 'Deploying at table edge within 8" of enemy' David Brown states that a unit deploying at the table edge has no restrictions on distance from enemy unit. Thus you can move into assault from the table edge.

The Reserves! action for deploying 2 units for rapid move from the table edge is a different action from the Fire & Move! that includes an explicit assault option. I suggest interpreting the rules precisely as written, which means that units cannot use the Reserves! action to assault.
gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Thanks for this. I am getting confused about the concept of reserves. There seems to two types, one platoons and supports from any companies that are on the table and those whole companies held as reserves.

I think that a part of a company that is on the table could be brought onto the table edge and then be allowed to close assault, firing first in the normal way.

However, if a part of a company that was held as a company reserve wants to deploy on the table edge it has to use the reserves deployment order, 2 for up to 2 platoons (infantry or armour or guns). These units csn fire or do a rapid move, but are not allowed to do a close assault.

Not sure if this is right, or why there is a difference .

Am I on right track?