Deploying at table edge within 8" of enemy

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

micstri

Deploying at table edge within 8" of enemy

Post by micstri »

Section 5.3, page 21 states that cannot deploy onto a combat patrol within 8" of enemy units. Does the same 8" away from enemy unit restriction apply when deploying from the table edge?

We have had an enemy unit get within 8" the opposite table edge. There then arose circumstances where it was tactically beneficial to deploy reserve unit into close combat with that enemy unit, which means deploying within 8" of the unit to be certain of the close combat. Thus is deploying on the table edge within 8" of an enemy unit ok?

The justification for this is that the reserve unit is moving into the battle area ready for action because its preparation occurred off table.

Regards and thanks,
Michael

gbaylis1957

Re: Deploying at table edge within 8" of enemy

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Would think that you would be able to deploy a unit on your table edge regardless of any enemy units?

Peter

Post by Peter »

There are always going to be problems at the board edge, but I would tend to see getting a foothold on the enemy's baseline as a good thing, cutting down his options. Allowing a free deployment into close combat seems a bit iffy.
Peter

Tonyhobbz

Post by Tonyhobbz »

I must say I am with Peter on this one. The target would have observed the unit moving onto the table within 8" and may have been able to react to it and prevent it arriving ? I think it makes sense to stick with the 8" rule.

gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Interesting debate, but wonder if the 8 inch rule was only meant to apply to units deploying from a CP, these units would be deployed straight onto the table if reserves wouldn't they? Going straight into close combat would be very risky, if they lost the chances are they would retreat off the table..

Peter

Post by Peter »

I rather see it that the enemy have restricted the deployment by getting there first, limiting the freedom of movement that the reserves would otherwise have.
Maybe it might become an issue if the defender tries to take advantage of the limited deployment area available to the attacker, but I'd prefer to deal with that by having a deeper table.

PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Being the idiot that allowed a defending platoon to deploy on the attackers table edge, I accept 8 inches is adequate penalty for allowing such an atrocious position to arise.

Forst

Post by Forst »

Interesting problem.

I would lean towards treating it as an ambush type scenario. The reserves could easily be waiting just off table in camouflaged positions ready to deploy so I would let them come on within 8 inch and even assualt. The target can still react, and in this case as the assault unit were off table to start would not be eligible for fire then move! So no pre assault softening up. but could move on and fire, but risk free close range opportunity reply first?

This then raises the option of a new rule, to allow recon of the table edge to neutralise such suprises? Let recce units use a recon action or send a cp off table to block reinforcement on say a 12" front?

IanKH

Post by IanKH »

I'd say the unit deploying on the table edge is not eligible to initiate close combat. The unit is coming from reserve and therefore does not have line of sight to the target unit. LOS is one of the prerequisites to initiating close combat. To say that off-table units have line of sight to on-table would mean that you could also argue that off-table units can shoot onto the table.

Forst

Post by Forst »

The rules already allow assaults (within 6" ) without line of sight p76, so assault could be an option at that range?