Deploying off a CP

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Steve Nagy

Deploying off a CP

Post by Steve Nagy »

A situation arose in a game I was playing where I wanted to deploy a plt onto a CP. The CP was outside 8" of any enemy unit, but when I went to deploy my plt into the BUA, facing one side, I couldn't get the entire plt on the board without getting within 8" of the enemy unit. My question then, is, can a unit deploy off a CP, yet end up within 8" of an enemy unit once deployed?

nugget70

Re: Deploying off a CP

Post by nugget70 »

Only one section of the platoon has to deploy on the CP position. Each section can be two inch's apart with any orientation. My point being that I'm sure there must be some means of arranging the unit on the board so that it is not within 8 of the enemy. I know this sounds obvious but I hope it helps. I guess some of them may have to be outside the BUA to deploy and then moved into a firing position inside the BUA either with an extra company commander order at cost or wait until your next phase to move them in ?

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

Given the ground scale of ~1/1000, an important variable in cases like this would be the stand size used as well as how the BUA model accommodates them. It's possible that the inability to place the stands into the desired location was inhibited by the gaming pieces themselves instead of the rules?

My personal interpretation of BUAs is that a single sector model could possibly hold an entire platoon, since the space occupied by each section would be far less in that situation than the open order represented by the stand model. Rather than jumble the stands into a heap or place them on the BUA perimeter and stipulate their status, a solution may be to place a single stand into the BUA model to represent the occupation by the entire platoon?

dunno...early in the day here...need coffee ; )

IanKH

Post by IanKH »

I'd just take it easy and say it doesn't matter. The platoon/unit is in the BUA. That's it. You know it's there and your opponent knows it's there. What matter does it make. If your opponent wants to shoot the unit in the BUA they they'll be targeting the footprint of the BUA not the exact location of your unit's stands. Just make allowances/discretion for the occasional instances when things don't work out perfectly. The rules are not written in stone and seem flexible enough to me to include some "fudge factor."

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

IanKH wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:14 am
I'd just take it easy and say it doesn't matter. The platoon/unit is in the BUA. That's it. You know it's there and your opponent knows it's there. What matter does it make. If your opponent wants to shoot the unit in the BUA they they'll be targeting the footprint of the BUA not the exact location of your unit's stands. Just make allowances/discretion for the occasional instances when things don't work out perfectly. The rules are not written in stone and seem flexible enough to me to include some "fudge factor."
Agree completely, particularly when you factor in you are supposed to declare which side of the BUA you are manning. If your model building with no removable roof covers one side of a BUA and that's the side you want to face out you will be doing that anyway...