Company commander order

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

gbaylis1957

Company commander order

Post by gbaylis1957 »

A bit confused about when a company commander can issue his order so that a unit can have another action.Can this be used in the opponents combat phase and does it have to be used straight after giving the first order or can you come back to a unit later on in your phase?

Enjoying the game very much by the way

nikjen66

Re: Company commander order

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi G, I believe it can be used just like any other order in your own or the opponents phase and doesn’t have to be immediately after the original order.

gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Thanks for that. Does that mean it can be used to trigger a srcond react order in the opponents combat phase? I ask as I thought you could only mske one react order?

Peter

Post by Peter »

Only one company order per company CO per turn. As all units must be attached to a particular company, that gives a single unit in the company the opportunity to fire three times in a turn: once in the defensive phase, once in the offensive, and once (in either offensive or defensive) through a company commander order.
Peter

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

g1957,

N66 and Peter have it right, though you may only have one reaction per enemy action. The CC Order does permit a second react action but not against the same single enemy action.

E.G. A Panther is ordered to react fire against advancing Shermans.
Then the Allied player orders a lone Achilles to advance and engage the Panther.
The German player can now use his CC order to permit the Panther a second react action to engage this Achilles.

Hope that makes sense.

DB

Forst

Post by Forst »

AA I understand it, a unit could make two react actions in the opponents fire phase, using a company command order for the second. But you can only fire once in response to any one enemy action, so they would normally be responses to either two different units, or one unit that has its self been subject to a Coy cmd order to activate twice.

You can only react to fire and or movement!

gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Does all this mean that the company commander order can only be issued to a unit that has already received an order? I say this as the rules seeem to imply that it is to keep things moving, which would mean they would have had another order first.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

g1957,

Basically yes, it's designed to permit a second "activation" in the same phase.

So, your German CC can order the lone 88mm on the hill to react fire x 2 against the advancing T34's or permit US M18s to speed down a road, then move to out flank the German armour and get in some flank shots, etc.

Its an exploitation order, in effect.

DB

Peter

Post by Peter »

Given that you will probably have to pay "extra" orders, it doesn't make sense to issue a company commander order first.
I guess if you don't have any normal orders available, then you could use a Company Commander's order and hope to roll a 6, but I think this seems a bit like playing the game, not the period (in so far as there is no downside to trying it, so if you have no HQ orders left, it's too easy an option towards the end of a turn).

Peter

Tonyhobbz

Post by Tonyhobbz »

Hi Peter, surely the main purpose of the company commander order is to issue a second order to a unit and if you are wanting to do this it is to achieve a local advantage so that probably dictates the timing in the phase, rather than do I have orders left?