Ambush and the Regroup Phase

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Steve Nagy

Ambush and the Regroup Phase

Post by Steve Nagy »

I had a unqiue situation crop up today during a solitaire play through regarding Ambush, dealing with rules on p 51/2. A German unit was in ambush in a BUA when a CP moved into it. The German decided not to spring the ambush (waiting for a better target), but the CP didn't have enough movement to clear the BUA, so it stopped inside it. Since the German hadn't "Forgotten" the ambush, I played that the ambusher wasn't lost. Next turn, both sides were strapped for orders, so the CP never received an order. Subsequently, in the Regroup Phase, I deployed a platoon onto the CP. According to the rules, when a unit deploys on the "same terrain piece," it is pushed back 2", or out of the BUA, and is subject to Opportunity fire. Since this occurred in the Regroup Phase, and I don't think Opp Fire is an option, I simply moved the deploying platoon out of the BUA (Where he prayed he didn't lose initiative next turn! Thoughts on how I played this?

Forst

Re: Ambush and the Regroup Phase

Post by Forst »

My take, is that you do nothing in the regroup phase and spring the ambush in the next action phase. The initiative is not relevant as the ambush unit can either spring the ambush on its own order, or as a reaction to the other unit moving/firing. As it's at close range it fires first in either case, if the non ambush unit is moving then I would wait until it's outside. Else fire and charge it in the back so it can't opportunity fire back (out of arc) and count suppressed for flank/rear attack?

Peter

Post by Peter »

Actually, I'd be harsher on this. The ambush is 'sprung' in so far as the ambushing unit is placed on the table, and the deploying unit must be moved 2" back from it (if necessary). As this is the Regroup phase no firing has occurred. It's then down to the next initiative phase to decide which side moves first, and therefore gets the first shot.

Peter

Forst

Post by Forst »

The more I look at this the more issues emerge and I doubt my first reaction? (Should have let myself wake up fully before answering)

Ok the ambush is sprung, which means the deployers are moved back 2" / out of the bua. Logically this must mean they trip the ambush as they move up to and enter the terrain as they approach the patrol location.

Deployers can fire (p32) so they can shoot at the ambush which can't reply? As react orders at not available in this phase. Can't see anything which says no fire in the regroup phase just no fire order options (see below)

Treat the situation as normal next turn...

If this is correct you can use deploy in the regroup phase to shoot at any relevant target? Also "who can fire" p53 doesn't include "deploy" as an option but it is in p32? Which is correct as it infers Deploy as a variant Fire & Move ?

I'm also doubting my interpretation that opportunity fire enables defenders to fire before attackers if they fire and assualt/move, as the rules say at any stage of the movement? Theoretically the fire in fire and move is therefore before movement and after earliest opportunity fire.

Makes you think about the implications of not ambushing patrols or if properly clearing terrain! Yet another tick for the rules. Look forward to a definitive answer.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

SN,

If I've read this right then you played it correctly. By not springing the Ambush against the Combat Patrol you take a risk in missing a potential Ambush situation. And that what's happened.

The Ambush must be sprung as enemy troops have now moved into your position, by deploying. (See 11.4 Spotting Ambush units, first point.)

The enemy unit is moved out of the BUA and the Ambushers placed on the table in the BUA.

Then yes, just hope you win the initiative next turn, as you cannot fire in the regroup phase! :o

DB

Forst

Post by Forst »

Ok but...

Can I confirm if units deploying in the regroup phase can fire? If they use a deploy order elsewhere in the turn they can (p32)?

If they can then in this scenario the deployed get a shot on without reply, Albright minus 2d6 for movement,2 d6 for bua and plus 1 for close range.

I can also see situations where say an mmg section deployes in the regroup phase and blasts a near by target!

Is this intended?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

F,

No units can fire in the Regroup Phase.

Units can only fire in the Combat Phases, using an action that permits firing.

Look on the Regroup Phase as an opportunity to move up, rally or deploy troops, that haven't been directly involved in the action this phase, but that's all they are doing.

DB

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

Thanks for the confirmation, Dave, and thanks for creating such an awesome game. As I tell my friends, O Group is the closest thing I have seen to a perfect game!

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Thank you Steve!

DB