East Front Kristot AAR & Questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Chapps

East Front Kristot AAR & Questions

Post by Chapps »

Follow the link below to my blog for a detailed AAR of a solo first time play of the introductory scenario. I played with Russians and Germans since that is all the toys I have available to play with so far.

Blog http://saskatoonminiwargamer.blogspot.c ... t-aar.html

So far, I like it! The 'O' Group rules provided me with a good first game that was a lot of fun and went to a nail-biter ending. Made a lot of mistakes, but that's normal for a first time.

A few questions arose during this test run and I'm hoping that I can find the answers in the Forum here!

1. Is the Platoon Rout Test only done once in the game, or is it done each time the remaining section takes some Shock?

2. If an MMG is attached to a platoon and all the infantry sections are KIA but the MMG survives the fire does the MMG automatically Rout?

3. If an artillery barrage completely misses causing no Shock on a unit in the Beaten Zone does it still need to choose between Retreat or staying and taking the +1 Shock as shown on the QRS sheet?

4. Is the Dead Ground behind Bocage/High Wall still 6 inches or is it less because they are lower (?) than woods/BUAs?

5. Can you remove a Combat Patrol from the table that you want to reuse elsewhere? How is that done?

6. In 7.4 "These restrictions includes all company units and any supports." If B Company goes Company Hesitant then do all of C Company platoons and any Guns or Armour units that are already deployed on the table after being allocated to support B Company also suffer the same Company Hesitant restrictions as for B Company?

7. Has anyone else become addicted to the woodsmoke smell of the superb laser-cut Order markers?

Cheers,

Gary

DCRBrown

Re: East Front Kristot AAR & Questions

Post by DCRBrown »

G,

Thank you for this excellent AAR - I'm just glad the rules came up to standard!

Certainly appreciate the effort that went in to this. 8-)

DB

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

G,

1. Is the Platoon Rout Test only done once in the game, or is it done each time the remaining section takes some Shock?

For a standard 3 section platoon it's just once per game, when the platoon is reduced to the last rifle section. A 4 section "square" platoon can take two Platoon Rout tests.

2. If an MMG is attached to a platoon and all the infantry sections are KIA but the MMG survives the fire does the MMG automatically Rout?

No, as long as the platoon has survived its Rout Test. If, on the loss of the penultimate Rifle section, the platoon rout test is failed, then the MMG will also go.

3. If an artillery barrage completely misses causing no Shock on a unit in the Beaten Zone does it still need to choose between Retreat or staying and taking the +1 Shock as shown on the QRS sheet?

Yes - this was the bit in your very fine AAR I was going to raise. I take it you mean by "complete misses" is that the stonk has caused no shock at all? If so, then yes, the Retreat/1 Shock still applies.

4. Is the Dead Ground behind Bocage/High Wall still 6 inches or is it less because they are lower (?) than woods/BUAs?

Simple answer ignore dead ground for Bocage/High walls. But if you want more detail/accuracy I suspect, having walked very similar lanes in Somerset/Devon, that the entire road would be out of line of sight.

5. Can you remove a Combat Patrol from the table that you want to reuse elsewhere? How is that done?

No. We had this in an earlier version of the rules, but found it simply gave the player too much flexibility with CPs, placing and removing at will without any worries. The current method means the player has to think about how many CPs he deploys and where.

6. In 7.4 "These restrictions includes all company units and any supports." If B Company goes Company Hesitant then do all of C Company platoons and any Guns or Armour units that are already deployed on the table after being allocated to support B Company also suffer the same Company Hesitant restrictions as for B Company?

Hesitant applies to one Company and all allocated supports. Technically, C Company assets cannot be directly allocated to B Company and placed under their command. Though, C Company can be deployed to assist B Company reach its objectives, but C Company remains an independent company in its own right.

Hope that helps.

DB

Chapps

Post by Chapps »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for clearing up most of my questions! It helps a lot! Still a bit fuzzy for me on a couple so I'd appreciate it if I could take a bit more of your time to help me get it pounded into my head correctly.

From Q2: A Suppressed rifle platoon has only one rifle section left with an attached Tank Hunter Section and the rifle section has already previously passed the Rout Test and has no outstanding fire against it to resolve. The unit comes under new fire and takes 3 Shock. The Tank Hunter Section passes the roll and survives so the last rifle section must be KIA using 2 Shock. The remaining Tank Hunter Section still has to resolve the 1 Extra Shock and he survives the roll. The question is: Since the Suppressed Tank Hunter Section is now alone without his rifle platoon is he automatically eliminated and counted as a loss for FUBAR?

From Q6. I'm getting the meaning of allocated and support in 2.2 and 4.6 all mixed up for resolving what becomes Company Hesitant.

a. If C Company is defined as Battalion Reserve as an independent company then is it just assisting and not classed as a support to B Company as per 2.2 so when deployed is not subject to B Company's Hesitant restrictions?

b. In 4.6 when reserves (SF MMGs, Guns, Armour) that are allocated to B Company deploy they become attached to B Company, so does this mean they are classed as its supports and subject to B Company's Hesitant restrictions?

c. Are units placed in Ambush at game start automatically attached to and become supports to the Company whose Sector they are placed in, and therefore are subject to that Company's Hesitant restrictions?

Thanks again!

Gary

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

G,

From Q2: A Suppressed rifle platoon has only one rifle section left with an attached Tank Hunter Section and the rifle section has already previously passed the Rout Test and has no outstanding fire against it to resolve. The unit comes under new fire and takes 3 Shock. The Tank Hunter Section passes the roll and survives so the last rifle section must be KIA using 2 Shock. The remaining Tank Hunter Section still has to resolve the 1 Extra Shock and he survives the roll. The question is: Since the Suppressed Tank Hunter Section is now alone without his rifle platoon is he automatically eliminated and counted as a loss for FUBAR?

As it stands at the moment the answer is no. The Tank Hunter section remains in play. However we are looking at this, and may revise this ruling in future.

From Q6. I'm getting the meaning of allocated and support in 2.2 and 4.6 all mixed up for resolving what becomes Company Hesitant.

a. If C Company is defined as Battalion Reserve as an independent company then is it just assisting and not classed as a support to B Company as per 2.2 so when deployed is not subject to B Company's Hesitant restrictions?

Correct. C Company is its own command and cannot be split up and allocated piecemeal to the other companies.

b. In 4.6 when reserves (SF MMGs, Guns, Armour) that are allocated to B Company deploy they become attached to B Company, so does this mean they are classed as its supports and subject to B Company's Hesitant restrictions?

Yes. Once supports are assigned to a Company they are considered an integral part of that Company.

c. Are units placed in Ambush at game start automatically attached to and become supports to the Company whose Sector they are placed in, and therefore are subject to that Company's Hesitant restrictions?

Yes. See b above.

Hope that helps.

DB

Chapps

Post by Chapps »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for clearing all that up. Wow! Company Hesitant is quite nasty! In my AAR game I was playing it wrong with it only affecting B Company and not the supports.

Looking back at all the B Company supports that also should have been affected and removing their fire that shouldn't have occurred would have resulted in perhaps a couple less Russian units being KIA making the game less close at the end. Although I just realized I forgot to include the on-table C Company in the dice rolls so they may have been hit instead and they had no supports. Hmmm... I'll have to add a comment to the AAR to explain the errors and the learnings here.

Looking forward to the next game! Good fun!

Cheers,

Gary

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

G,

Yes, if your lead or attack company goes Hesitant just at the wrong moment, it can be well,.....quite nasty!

It always seems to happen to me at just the wrong moment!

DB