Airborne drops and beach landings

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

dakkadakka

Airborne drops and beach landings

Post by dakkadakka »

Dave:

I know you are currently working on an east front scenario book. Are there any future plans to include rules for doing airborne drops and/or amphibious landings?

Regards,

Jim
DCRBrown

Re: Airborne drops and beach landings

Post by DCRBrown »

The closest is one chap working an Arnhem campaign but I'm not sure it has air drops.

DB
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

dakkadakka wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:53 am Dave:

I know you are currently working on an east front scenario book. Are there any future plans to include rules for doing airborne drops and/or amphibious landings?

Regards,

Jim
For airborne drops cut out a paper counter for each section being dropped and label them.
Stand on a chair and hold your hand high above your head and over the centre of the board
Drop each section individually from the thumb and forefinger. Where the section lands is it's drop point, replace it with the relevant troop base
Sections not landing on the table are lost, sections landing in the opponents deployment zone are lost.

If you are dropping at night point an ordinary fan at the table on minimum settings in the prevailing wind direction and repeat the above procedure...

:shock:
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Does your opponent get to stand near the table edge and blow?
MortuusSum

Post by MortuusSum »

Sincilbanks wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 pm
For airborne drops cut out a paper counter for each section being dropped and label them.
Stand on a chair and hold your hand high above your head and over the centre of the board
Drop each section individually from the thumb and forefinger. Where the section lands is it's drop point, replace it with the relevant troop base
Sections not landing on the table are lost, sections landing in the opponents deployment zone are lost.
I don't know if you're deliberately referencing it, but this is the actual rule for airborne infantry drops in Dirtside 2. I haven't played it for lack of any friends with an interest, but that rule stuck with me after I read it.
dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

I’ve actually seen that technique done in other games - it works pretty well.

The fan is a nice touch . . . 😜😂

Regards,

Jim
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 pm Does your opponent get to stand near the table edge and blow?
Yes, one blow for each flak emplacement he has...
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

MortuusSum wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:33 pm
I don't know if you're deliberately referencing it, but this is the actual rule for airborne infantry drops in Dirtside 2. I haven't played it for lack of any friends with an interest, but that rule stuck with me after I read it.
I was actually referencing Phil Barkers 1925-1950 WRG rules although I think the height was a bit less than the one I specified if memory serves. That and the fact that WWII para drops were notoriously difficult to pull off with any accuracy
MortuusSum

Post by MortuusSum »

Sincilbanks wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 am
MortuusSum wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:33 pm
I was actually referencing Phil Barkers 1925-1950 WRG rules although I think the height was a bit less than the one I specified if memory serves. That and the fact that WWII para drops were notoriously difficult to pull off with any accuracy
At the risk of nesting these quote blocks to an untenable level, I'll just say that you've clearly got me beat in terms of breadth and depth of wargaming knowledge. And thanks for telling me where it's from, I'll have to give Barker's rules a Google!
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Played em back in early 70's dunno if they have stood the test of time however