Opportuniy Fire and Assault

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Steve Nagy

Opportuniy Fire and Assault

Post by Steve Nagy »

Played a game solo yesterday, and I want to make sure I got this right. A German unit started 8" away from a Brit unit, declared a move Action, with the Tactical Bound being an assasult on the Brits. Germans rolled a '10', and so made it to CC. The Brits decided to use Opportunity Fire on the closing Germans. Now, the React Fire action (p36 of the rules) says a reacting unit "May attempt to fire at any point during the opponent's move", so the Brits (smart lads that they are!), chose to fire at 4", well within Close Range. P 37 of the rules gives the Close Range Exception that says "units fire automatically" at Close Range. So, the way I played this out, the Germans got to 4", the Brits spent an Order to Oportunity Fire, which was at close range, so no roll was required, allowing the Brits to get off a shot before the Germans closed. Have I got the interactions of those rules correct?

nikjen66

Re: Opportuniy Fire and Assault

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Steve, looks right to me.😉

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

Thanks. It made sense from a reality check perspective, I just wanted confirmation. This really highlights the importance of using firepower to suppress the enemy before charging home!

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Yes it does. No need to dice for opportunity fire at close range, a bonus dice for being at close range and you’re seldom going to obscured whilst charging in. You really risk lots of hits and right before you roll for close combat which is inevitably bloody!