React fire and ambush

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

m1kel

React fire and ambush

Post by m1kel »

Hi,
Can react and ambush fire continue indefinitely between opposing sides?

We had a Panther arrive onto the table. Two Sherman sections, one a fire fly were able to cover the panthers deployment. Since the Panther is considered moving the firefly tested for reaction and fired damaging the Panther. The other Sherman section tried to react fire as well but failed. So the Panther fired but missed allowing the reacting Sherman to fire who missed. We thought we were ok so far? ;)

But now a German Pak40 on ambush wanted to fire as a result of the Sherman react fire. I’m not sure this is correct.

Rules state under offensive combat phase:
Their opponent may use their Orders to react to a move or fire Action issued during the
Offensive Combat Phase.

This suggests to me that react or ambush fire may only be issued by the offensive players opponent in that phase.

So I think this means you can’t react or ambush fire if you are the offensive player. Ie it’s your turn. ......????

Hope some of this makes sense.....
Mike

Forst

Re: React fire and ambush

Post by Forst »

My interpretation is no.

A unit is issued with a fire/movement order, the non phasing player can then react to that order by issuing one of more react orders. Any react fire being against the original mover/firer.

You can't react to a reaction but in your scenario the pak40 could spring the ambush in the defensive phase of ordered to fire! Any reaction by the allies would be after the shots as no movement = no opportunity!

I note you rolled separately for the 2 Sherman's opportunity fire. I would only do this if they were operating as 2 separate sections ie out of integrity range and each having a separate react order. If they respond as a platoon I would have rolled once for the pair? So either both of neither would have fired opportunity before the panther. Others may see this differently?

Tonyhobbz

Post by Tonyhobbz »

As you are the active player you could give the Pak 40 a normal fire order and put the model on the table, it then fires and loses its ambush status.
Section 11.4
Your opponent may then get a reaction after you have fired.

Forst

Post by Forst »

Well spotted. Mixed up phasing player!

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

If I put my question in hopefully a more simple way. If I am a player in the offensive phase, my turn, may I order react fire to my opponents react fire?
Mike

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

M,

Not with a react order.

But you can of course simply issue your next Order in your phase as a response to the defenders fire.

DB

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

Thank you everyone for all your help.
Mike