Extra shock for remaining in beaten zone

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

dakkadakka

Extra shock for remaining in beaten zone

Post by dakkadakka »

I noticed in the videos that units which elect to stay in a beaten zone take an extra shock. I was trying to find that rule in the book because I wanted to know if it requires placing an order to withdraw from the BZ; but, I can’t seem to locate it anywhere. Can someone give me the page number?

Regards,

Jim

DCRBrown

Re: Extra shock for remaining in beaten zone

Post by DCRBrown »

J,

15.7 Firepower; Table 3, overall rule at the bottom of the table, p73.

DB

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

Thanks Dave - I knew it was in there somewhere! So, according to the table, the rule only applies to reg/div artillery- not battalion mortars.

Is an order required for the retreat or is it automatic? I looked through the rules again last night; and, on pg 37, it talks about using an order for a react withdrawal for units in a beaten zone. It sounds like if you don’t have any extra orders your units have to hold in place and gain the extra shock. Is that correct?

Regards,

Jim

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

J,

A Retreat is automatic. Its a Retreat as opposed to a Withdrawal, so no Order required.

Likewise to hold in the beaten zone requires no Order.

And yes, it does not apply to Battalion Mortars.

DB

Forst

Post by Forst »

Further to the above. How does React Withdraw work with artillery barrage?

The unit seems to have a choice of stay or retreat.

Does the unit a) decide to stay and take a extra shock, then do a react withdraw? Or b) can it react withdraw as an alternative to retreat to avoid the extra shock?

Thus falling back in a more controlled manner? at the cost of an order!

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

F,

Does the unit a) decide to stay and take an extra shock, then do a react withdraw?

Well you could, but I'm not sure why you would do this bearing in mind that when you retreat you can stop at the next friendly cover, and you don't take the extra shock when you retreat.

Or b) can it react withdraw as an alternative to retreat to avoid the extra shock?

React withdraw really only applies for off board artillery when the target unit is in BUA, bunkers etc., so ignores the retreat or shock rule. Hence, if it needs to pull out it will require an Order to withdraw from the beaten zone.

DB