Russian recon platoon and extras!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Forst

Russian recon platoon and extras!

Post by Forst »

Most references to recon units are afv ones. These can operate as sections and or platoons. ( I assume recon jeeps and motor cycles act the same).

The Russians have an infantry recon platoon.

Can this platoon be deployed by section? Or does it always operate as one platoon?

Can it still swap a section for patrol market once/twice or even in three occations?

As an aside if two sections of say light guns deploy on patrol markers independently, can they subsequently act as a platoon if in proximity? Up to now I have assumed they can!

I have also applied a house rule that guns deployed in ambush have a choice of deploying with a tow or being dug in. Sound reasonable?

Enjoy the rules!

DCRBrown

Re: Russian recon platoon and extras!

Post by DCRBrown »

F,

The Russians have an infantry recon platoon. Can this platoon be deployed by section? Or does it always operate as one platoon?

As a platoon.

Can it still swap a section for patrol market once/twice or even in three occations?

Only Recon AFVs can do this. An infantry platoon is probably never that far from its Company Commander who performs this action on their behalf. Whereas an AFV Recon platoon has the ability to infiltrate significant distances, probably well outside of the respective commander's 18" range, hence their ability to deploy a CP.

as an aside if two sections of say light guns deploy on patrol markers independently, can they subsequently act as a platoon if in proximity? Up to now I have assumed they can!

Yes.

I have also applied a house rule that guns deployed in ambush have a choice of deploying with a tow or being dug in. Sound reasonable?

Very!

DB

IanKH

Post by IanKH »

Looking back at this thread after a few weeks: I've been wondering about the usefulness of the Russian Infantry Recon platoon. It can't deploy CP's and seems pretty useless, but... Rule 7.6 Loses That Do Not Count Towards a FUBAR - Attacking forces ignore the first two reconnaissance section losses...

I'm assuming this holds true for the Infantry Recon platoon?

Forst

Post by Forst »

I think it's main use is to recon for ambush, it gets 2 rolls as a platoon, and if smg armed it has the fire power to winkle out what it finds.

It doesn't have some of the options afv recon has but can be useful! It can also deploy on a cp as a platoon (inf) which can help!

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

IanKh,

Yes, you can lose 2 infantry recon sections without impacting FUBARs.

And "Forst's" comments are well observed.

DB

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

Would we consider the Brit Motor Bttn Scout Plt in a similar vein?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

S,

If its reconnaissance, then yes.

DB

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

The Bttn Org says it is 1 X Inf Recce Plt + 2 X Carriers, so I thihk it should be treated as a recce plt. Thoughts?

Forst

Post by Forst »

Best of both worlds! Recce AFVs unit until it dismounts and inf recce thereafter?

Won't be able to deploy from cp in the carriers though, or split into two sub units. Or turn into a cp !

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

Forst:

No, but another option for Carriers and Recce, and since I have a boatload of carriers, it's a good option for me!