Consolidated AFV list

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Legere

Consolidated AFV list

Post by Legere »

There was mention on the FB group of such a list being worked on. I think such a list will be useful, the list at 14.6 in the rules is OK as a starter but is missing some even fairly common vehicles (SdKfz 250/9 etc.). I think it would also be useful if the list had the AT firepower on a per vehicle basis too. WW2 enthusiasts will very likely know what gun was fitted to the Panther or Churchill but folks new to WW2 would likely have no idea without having to look it up elsewhere in the cases where it's not one of the example vehicles given. Often quicker and easier to look up by chassis type too, rather than gun type, to look up by gun type folks need to know which gun to look up. The easier it is for players new to WW2 to get into the period the better IMO.
DCRBrown

Re: Consolidated AFV list

Post by DCRBrown »

L,

Firepower is included.

DB
Legere

Post by Legere »

Great, it'll be very useful for non WW2 enthusiasts if all the stats pertinent to a vehicle can be found in one place. I get the idea behind the QRS as it stands as all of the information is actually there for people who know what's what and takes up just 2 pages. For someone looking at their newly painted platoon of Pz IV F2s for the first time though they could get a bit lost given they will need to figure out how it is rated for armour protection (Medium, Battle etc), what type of gun it has (Low or Standard etc) for range, what its AP firepower rating is and finally whether it's a Slow or Standard AFV for movement. Again, for WW2 buffs, easy but for newcomers less so I think. It's a great, indeed brilliant, set of rules IMO and I think anything that helps newcomers use them will be a real boon; the alternative, albeit worst case scenario, is having folks put them in the 'too hard to do' tray. Of course all of this is easy to do one's self just by knocking up a quick spreadsheet, but seeing as the list is being compiled anyway :D I'm sure it would look better too, especially once printed out next to the QRS etc.

For completeness, although very rarely used in direct fire and in this close proximity to the action, I think it would be a good idea to include vehicles like the M7 Priest and the Wespe, for scenarios if nothing else, or even for the case of folks coming across from other rulesets where everything and the kitchen sink is on the table.
bcantwell

Post by bcantwell »

I'm looking at making unit cards of some sort that will have all of that type of information on it. That way new players have the information for their own units and have less information overload. The secondary goal is to get the QRS down to a single page ( front + back)
Flipperblack

Post by Flipperblack »

Hi

I think this would be a great idea. It would allow me to get some of my friends interested that are not so involved with WW2 stats etc.

Love the idea of cards per AFV which would cover all that needed. Is this something you would publish in files section of FB to print out or make available somehow?

Great set of rules i think - love the recon parts especially!

Paul
Legere

Post by Legere »

The consolidated list should perhaps be designated as the 'master' list too. As an example, once instance of potential 'double classification' I've come across, where the use of the broad categorisation of 'Reconnaissance' has maybe confused things a little, under Movement on p. 40 there are:

Fast AFVs and Reconnaissance with a +4" in the table and Fast AFVs and Armoured Cars in the description. Cars presumably being 'wheeled'?

Average AFVs (which includes all half tracks and carriers) with a +2"

The German SdKfz 250/9 is both a Reconnaissance vehicle and a half track and armoured cars is often used in a very generic sense (any armoured recon, wheeled or not). Common sense might dictate that it is a half track and thus moves as a half track, on the other hand, it might be argued that recon drivers might be better at handling their vehicles (pushing it though I think, I doubt they attended advanced driving courses!). Listing the 250/9 will remove any confusion. Possibly an issue for an FAQ too though with Reconnaissance vehicles meaning Wheeled only and a caveat of 'see the consolidated list for specific classifications'?
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Legere,

Sounds like you’ve volunteered to create a beta AFV list to share with the group and then perhaps Dave can adopt it. 😉😉Will save him a lot of time and mean he get other products out -not least the 1813 Leipzig campaign book for GdA!?!?🙂🙂
Legere

Post by Legere »

Hi nikjen66

Actually it sounds more like you haven't been paying attention, if you check the FB Page you'll see it's being worked on already, attention to detail and all that ;) Try and keep up :D
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Nice one Legere!
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Nice one Legere! I don’t do FB though I spend too much of my life on forums like this!! 😂😂