Ambush deployment

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Necrosauron

Ambush deployment

Post by Necrosauron »

Does a unit assigned to an ambush have to deploy at the ambush site or could it deploy from a CP or on the rear table edge?

Assuming the unit can deploy from a CP or table edge, in the case of an infantry ptn or heavy weapon section this might be feasible as it could be presumed the troops were recalled from the ambush position at some stage during the battle, but what about a wheeled AT gun? Would this not have to be moved using transport – i.e. still deployed at the assigned ambush point?

However, if the unit assigned to ambush must deploy at the ambush site, can it do so without having to ambush – i.e. as a standard deploy action (as if from a CP)?

Forst

Re: Ambush deployment

Post by Forst »

My understanding is that an ambush unit starts the game in the 6inch square of terrain/cover it was allocated to. It can be activated at any time, like any other unit by giving it an order, it was just invisible up to that point! So it doesn't have to ambush per say, if you put it in the wrong place.

On activation it can be placed anywhere in its allocated terrain, so can maximise its arc of fire etc!

I would tend towards assuming any guns start unlimbered, ie ready to fire in ambush, so if you just want to extract it and move elsewhere it may take time to limber up! Hence a trend in the war to porter and mobile at!

I also have a rule that if a gun is deployed in ambush it has a choice of a tow of being dug in, (made at planning stage).

IanKH

Post by IanKH »

Why would you want to deploy as if on a CP? There are advantages to deploying as an ambush unit: no interdiction, no deduction for movement if you want to shoot. The unit can also stay hidden right up to the point that the enemy get into very close range.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

N,

An ambush unit must deploy from its ambush site/terrain feature.

DB

Necrosauron

Post by Necrosauron »

IanKH - In our recent game, my opponent's attack had broken down on one flank to such an extent that I had a platoon twiddling their thumbs in the orchard on that flank with no hope of enemy ever coming close to spring the ambush. We played it that the platoon could deploy normally (i.e. as if from a CP) but in the terrain feature it was in.

Dave - thanks, we played it as such.