BUA and firing being fired at

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

gbaylis1957

BUA and firing being fired at

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Hi. Am i right in assuming that you can only fire at units in a BUA if you can see them. I ask as if you were occupying the rear of the BUA then we have been playing it as you cannot see them and they cannot see you.

Of course indirect artillery just hits anything in tje beaten zone.

Is this the rigjt way?

IanKH

Re: BUA and firing being fired at

Post by IanKH »

I'm unsure but I think it would depend on the size of the BUA. If a BUA is large enough to holds only a single platoon + support section, then it should be assumed it controls the whole BUA and can be hit from any direction. I'd say that your example above would only apply if you had a large BUA terrain piece that might need to be divided into smaller bite sized pieces.

gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Interesting, would love David to comment.

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

I'd love to have Dave's take on this. My understanding is that when a plt moves into a BUA, it declares which facing it is defending. If it happens to be facing the direction the enemy are coming from, then they can see/shoot at them. If, for some reason, you declare that your plt is defending a side (or corner)of the BUA that the enemy can't see, they can't be fired at. Essentially, you can't see through a BUA, but if the defenders are lined up along the edge of town closest to the attacker, the attacker can fire.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Take a look at Section 12.2 Line of Sight. Point 3. p54.

Smalls arms fire must have a line of sight to the actual target garrisoning the BUA, as long as you can see at least one section you can fire at the defenders.

If you are firing H.E. you only need a line of sight to the BUA, and the garrison can still be hit.

DB

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Dave. Just following up on your question. We had a situation recently where I placed a platoon on the edge of a BUA, I realised I wouldn’t be able to shoot but essentially wanted to prevent my opponent firing multiple units, including mix of HE and SA, before they bundled into the BUA. Essentially setting up a local ambush as anyone attacking the BUA could not fire and assault , as they couldn’t see me. This gave me the advantage of not being a target and that when assaulting the attackers would be penalise as they hadn’t ‘shot’ themselves into the target.

Was this correct?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

N66,

I think the technical term for that type of deployment is "cowering in the cellars!" ;)

Yes, you can do this but H.E. can still target you. See 12.2, p54. As can mortars and artillery.

Also you can still be assaulted if the enemy are within 6" as they don't need LOS once that close. See 16.1 point 1. 76.

Good luck!

DB

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi DB,

Yeah accept that HE can still target my unit and that attackers can still assault if within 6”. And yes there was a lot of cowering going on at time with artillery, at least two Infantry platoons with bayonets fixed and some T34s and SU122s all zeroed in!!😂😂😂

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

And one more question on HE fire (not artillery) on a BUA, can units firing HE target a single unit in a BUA. If there is an AT unit, HQ, separate heavy weapon (MG/AT rifle etc) and an infantry platoon sharing a BUA can the firer elect to shoot just at the AT gun or should HE hits be split across targets in the BUA?

Forst

Post by Forst »

My understanding from p53 is that each platoon firing needs to choose a target section to fire at. This can't be a command or FO if other targets are available.

Only platoons firing at fire can split fire on the same order at different section targets. So one tank during at the guns and one at the infantry will require separate orders!

Don't forget elevated ranges apply in both directions against 2 story buildings except vs gun sections/vehicles which deploy in the gardens at ground level!