Playing by Zoom

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Paul H

Playing by Zoom

Post by Paul H »

I'm going to play a game of II over zoom with a friend who hasn't played before. He will have a set of rules and cards. The table will be chez moi. Any advice on how to organise the game? (and how to show it to him - I have a laptop and an iphone)
dadlamassu

Re: Playing by Zoom

Post by dadlamassu »

We had a lot of difficulty in our first games and when I asked for help here John Savage set up a "Zoom" game and we played it talking through the rules, options and tactics. This was great so I recommend that you start with a similar "training exercise" game or two with your novice opponent. We have played most games so far as learning rather than competitive. Often playing the same scenario with different forces or changing sides.

- I have the webcam mounted above head height and to one side of one long side of my 6x4 table linked to my laptop giving a high oblique view. I have a shelf there and the webcam sits on a tripod. The smart phone is used to show close ups and dice rolls if required. The wecam can also be moved if a different view is needed.
- A lot of what we do is the same for a web game as it is for a face-to-face game.
- We only use one set of rules and cards.
- I would recommend that you both have the QR sheets printed out for use. Mine are laminated.
- Before the game I prepare the scenario, terrain and force lists. These force lists have the basic stats copied from the rule book. I have prepared these on an Excel Spreadsheet and can cut and paste them so that each Player has the essential stats.
- I set up the camera and laptop a few hours before and record a few turns as if playing and talking to myself as I check audio.
- This preparation pays dividends later.
- My opponent chooses which side he wants to use.

Keep the scenario simple and the forces small as the turns do take longer than a face-to-face game.

Others more experienced than I will have other tips.
Alan
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Thanks Alan. Solid prep sounds like good advice.

I'm thinking that II is better for this treatment than eg DBA because it doesn't hinge on precise positions and angles.
Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Infamy is of course a superb game but DBA works great on Zoom/Skype due to it's short time span.
Despite me hosting the game and moving all the figs I do tend to lose a considerably high percentage though.

Let us know how you get on with the Zoom games
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

A couple more pointers after running a game at the weekend.

When setting up the camera be careful to allow for where you will stand. Most of the action in the game I ran on Sunday was in the bottom left of the screen as my opponent viewed it. I started the game on the far side but had to move round to the camera side. This meant I spent a lot of time there. Unfortunately without thinking I was in the way of my opponent seeing what I was doing. Had I thought about it before I would have been standing to the short edge of the table rather than the traditional long edge.

If possible have a table or shelf within easy reach and which can be seen on camera with all the rules, aides memoire, QR sheet, reinforcements, cards etc. If you need to be able to see them so does your opponent. Not so important once all troops deployed.

I also laid out any retinue items in play with labels even if they do appear on table. Again for my opponent to see as we were both using my figures.
Alan
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Thanks Alan. I've bought a webcam, that's a good tip on setting it up.
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

Oops correction - the last line should read
I also laid out any retinue items in play with labels even if they do not appear on table. Again for my opponent to see as we were both using my figures.
Alan
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Table prepared, webcam checked, troops ready. Early Imperial Romans vs Calgacus' Caledonians. Tomorrow night we'll start the battle. My opponent is the Admiral. Our last two zoom games were the excellent board game "Caesar- Rome vs Gaul" - as the Gauls he beat me both times. Time for revenge (though the Caledonians seem to outnumber me 2:1!).
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

dadlamassu wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 pm Mine are laminated.
A must for all Lardy games, given the amounts of cooking lager usually involved. 8-)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Paul H wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 pm Table prepared, webcam checked, troops ready. Early Imperial Romans vs Calgacus' Caledonians. Tomorrow night we'll start the battle. My opponent is the Admiral. Our last two zoom games were the excellent board game "Caesar- Rome vs Gaul" - as the Gauls he beat me both times. Time for revenge (though the Caledonians seem to outnumber me 2:1!).
Hope you both have a great time
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.