Please help...command question

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Cypher

Please help...command question

Post by Cypher »

Hi,
Old gamer here new to the rules in need of a clarification.

Can a leader with multiple command ability (level 3 leader for example) move the same unit more than once, shoot more than once etc...
With the same unit?

Thanks,
Mark

Captain Reid

Re: Please help...command question

Post by Captain Reid »

Nope.

See page 38, first column halfway down the page.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

I am looking at that page and column, it only states that ‘no group may activate more than once...’

I am asking if during that activation, if a commander that has several initiatives , say 3, where does it specifically
State he cannot do the same initiative?

Nearly every game I play that uses an ‘action system’ allows you to freely use them for any action.
So move 2x, shoot 2x, move 1x and shoot 1x.

These rules on page 38 specifically state:
“For one command initiative they may:
Activate any mob or group, formation under their command and within range to move, shoot, fight in close combat or change formation
Or order.”

I would add that as demonstrated in the videos, a unit can change formation 2x (i.e. open ranks, move, close ranks)

So where dies it say I cannot shoot 2x, or move 2x?

I really appreciate the clarification, my friend and I are really stumped by this inconsistency...

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Cypher,
The rules don’t state that a Leader cannot use an command initiative to issue the same order because he can do so. However, it must be issued to another unit under his control and within his command range since he cannot activate the same unit more than once.
Such a restriction on command and control is a common feature of several TFL rulesets and limits the amount of activity a single unit can undertake in a turn.

The ability to open ranks, move and close ranks within a single activation is a special feature only available to Drilled Romans. It does not involve a Leader activating the same unit twice.

John

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Also perhaps worth noting that in Infamy (unlike in COC and SP2) a unit's Activation is not made up of a set number of Actions. In Infamy you get to move and throw javelins (or whatever) and fight (if you make it into contact with an enemy), and do any or all of those things in any order when you are Activated.

Drilled troops are a partial exception as they can only throw javelins when a Leader uses a CI or a Signa card is played (the compensation being they can throw more than once, and can use a Signa to throw in the enemy's turn).

Also, changing Order is not a formation change, so it costs no movement dice.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Thank you both very much for the help in clearing this up.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Thank you both very much for the help in clearing this up.