Rich’s New game video and big question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Waterhorse

Rich’s New game video and big question

Post by Waterhorse »

Just been watching Rich’s new Romans v Brits video In his step by step guides, which is good. Well apart from some camera positions that cut off part and sometimes all of the subject area, very un Lard like!

However when Rich got into the main punch up he was giving the Level Three Leaders on both sides up to six extra dice, to add to the fight. Where’s that come from?

I’ve gotten used to missing bits in the rules over the last three months but this is outstanding, even for me!

We have been using 3 per Level 3 Leader - what’s this all about?

Captain Reid

Re: Rich’s New game video and big question

Post by Captain Reid »

A Leader adds his status level if he's fighting. But any Warlord fighting may, if desired, add up to three extra dice (as many as they please). However the price of these extra dice is adding 1 per added dice to the chance of the leader being a casualty if any are inflicted.

For instance: I have a Status III Leader, Furius Rancor who I decide is going to add two extra dice above and beyond the two he gets anyway. So I roll 4 dice for him. Let's assume that the group Furius is with takes just one casualty. Normally this couldn't be him (can't roll a 0), but because he added two additional dice to the combat over and above his integral 3 for Status III, I need to add 2 to the chance of him being hit. 1 casualty caused + 2 for fighting like a nutter = 3. So Furius will be the casualty on a roll of 1 or a 2 in this particular instance.

See page 72.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Oh for Gods Sake! One paragraph tucked in a corner of Page 72!

Must have read it at some point but to be honest I’ve been concentrating on the game play chapters to, you know, play games! 😀

Result of that is detailed reading has tended to stop around Page 70.

Never mind, thanks for your direction as ever!👍

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

You mean finding the Warlords characteristics under a Chapter headed "Leading Characters" with a sub heading of "Warlord", which is flagged as such on the Contents page and which is also the only reference to a Warlord on p72 in the Index at the end, came as a surprise to you?!

Well knock me down with a feather! :D

Don

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Ah! Mister Quackstheking, we've been expecting you. 😂

Monster supposition there Don. You either have to know of, or expect further, characteristics in the first place. In the Combat section there's the information about adding a D6 per Leader Level and also its right at the top of the Combat Adjustments Chart as
"+1 for each Status Level"
We only have Level 3 Leaders in the non Campaign games, sounds like 3D6 to me.

So if you miss the importance of the last part of
They will add their dice to the fight but will also be at risk of being a casualty. See also Section 12, Leading Characters.
You will then come to explanations of how you get hit and what it means based on a Rule of 3 (?)

If then when ploughing on learning the rules, you associate
Leading Characters
with all the Campaign stuff, which may well not interest you at that stage, some detail of Chapter 12 will get overlooked. Particularly if you are like me and spend more time scratching/shaking your head about the chunk of text regarding the functions of an Optio!

A direct reference to the added Dice for Warlords, over and above their 3, placed in the region of the Combat Adjustments might have been helpful.

Good to hear from you in any case! :D

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Actually, the more I think about the Risk v Reward element of this particular rule the more I like it.

In fact, given that the way to get yourself noticed as a future somebody, in both the Roman army and Tribal culture, was to "Put yerself about a bit!" as it used to be known, I'm going to extend the principal to Level 1 and Level 2 Leaders. So Level 1s can use up to 2D6 and Level 2s up to 3.

Giving extra clout but keeping the Level 3s, who presumably had already proved they were "hard enough", that much ahead of the wannabees.

It might also have the benefit of getting a little faster results out of combat, which can be way too drawn out in my opinion.

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Also very useful if you have a bodyguard in the Campaign or the Infamy Card ignoring a wound or are lucky enough to follow the combat with 4 signa and roll 8 on the Random Events table!

Don

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

I have to confess the use of these extra dice in Combat has certainly made me see the Capsarius in a new light! 😄

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Waterhorse wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 pm
I'm going to extend the principal to Level 1 and Level 2 Leaders. So Level 1s can use up to 2D6 and Level 2s up to 3.
I do that, but I'd just let any Leader add up to 3 dice in exchange for the increased exposure to risk. I actually did it by accident as I'd presumed it was a general thing for Leaders, but I can't see any reason for it not to be (yes you can increase your combat punch by having a Status I 'suicide' Leader but on the other hand, he's a BTH roll waiting to happen if you do).

The tactical nous of they average centurion seems largely a matter of speculation. What's not speculation is that they were expected to fight aggressively and be the last to retreat and that raw aggression and courage seems to have been the main criteria for the post. But even rankers are frequently mentioned as fighting single combats in front of the lines, So a Status I or II, perhaps representing an evocatus or a candidate for the centurionate added to a Roman formation over and above the Centurion and Optio seems fair enough to me.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

We are now thinking of a simple progression Level 1 = 2D6, Level 2 = 4D6 and Level 3 = 6D6.

Its undoubtedly the case that living long enough was the ultimate key to progression and every rank of Centurion had a lower one looking over his shoulder and a line of Optio behind that. Personally, I see the Centurion as a high ranking NCO/Officer hybrid as the organisation doesn't chime with the modern era. There were 60 of the blighters in a Legion, which means a lot of people had to die, or retire, for you to make it to Primus Pilus!

As for ever making it to Praefectus Castrorum - Dream On!

I gather a popular alternative for the higher ranking Centurion who had got himself noticed was the chance of a sponsor getting him slotted into the Equestrian Order so he could nip off to the Auxiliaries. Would have worked for me, I'd have been off to command an Alae before you could say saddle blanket!

Where the Optio is concerned I have doubts, game wise, as their presence is one of those areas where game play and possible scale jar for me.

I can understand them not being allowed to fight when the Centurion is present, even more so now I'm up to speed with the additional dice - adding a possible total of 10D6 if Level 2 leaders were included as above - but the idea of them standing behind eight men (on 1:1) in a fight is rather silly.

Actually, behind 16 is pretty daft too. At least a 1:5 you can pretend they are behind their Century (16 x 5 = 80)

Holding the Line is a nice historical counter to the effects of Fervour but it does feel a bit like importing something that was vital to the cohesion of a Cohort, down a level of action. Maybe it depends on your definition of "Skirmish".