Pilum and Combat

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

LancasterMatt

Pilum and Combat

Post by LancasterMatt »

If a Roman Legion throws pilum before combat, do any casualties count towards the number of kills in the combat and thereby the winning margin?

Captain Reid

Re: Pilum and Combat

Post by Captain Reid »

I don't think so. I can see why it might argued they should, but then why not any missile fire pre-combat (Mobs charging in, skirmish cavalry charging in, etc).
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I’d say no as well. Only Kills inflicted by following the procedure in 7.6 count to determine the outcome of the Close Combat.

Of course any Shock inflicted by the Pila would reduce the Barbarians Fervour before the Close Combat calculation is made, and if any Kills reduced the size of the enemy group to 50% or less then that would also have an effect.

John

Hamilton

Post by Hamilton »

I agree, it seems the "result of close combat" is an integral part of the "7.6.1 Close Combat Calculation" and not part of "Ranged Missile Fire".
7.6.1 Close Combat Calculation P. 59
"The result of the Close Combat is determined by the successful number of Kills (not Shock) on both sides after the armour rolls are made. The result is determined on the table below, taking into account the difference in number of Kills between the two sides."

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

The Captain, John and Hamilton are correct - it is only casualties caused in the combat that count towards who wins the combat.

Don

LancasterMatt

Post by LancasterMatt »

Thanks all. Clear now.

It wasn't explicit and I was thrown off because many rules do it differently.