Retire off Table

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bandrsntch

Retire off Table

Post by bandrsntch »

I know this should be in there, but haven't been able to find it. I had some Barbarian Skirmishers deployed in a swamp near edge of the table. An End of Act came up and they had retire so they could be 12 inches from enemy. Subsequently they were hit by some "Darken the Sky" missile fire caused them to have to retire 2" due to excess Shock. This was enough to push them off the table. I assume similar to SP that they are deemed "wiped out", but can't find where it says so.

Captain Reid

Re: Retire off Table

Post by Captain Reid »

In SP I always play it as just Forced Withdrawal but they can't come back on.

I'd presumed it'd be the same in Infamy
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

patwarg

Post by patwarg »

Page 49 deals with a volunary leaving of the table and the Evade moves section, page 63, states that evaders can avoid leaving the table. I would be tempted to use the same interpretation for those forced to retire as those that are evading.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Alternatively, let them halt at the table edge but take a point of Shock for each inch they failed to withdraw.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

The intention is that troops can alter their retreat or evade to avoid moving off the table. The exception is if they are in they’re deployment area then they can leave the table with no penalty.

Don

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch »

patwarg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:03 pm
Page 49 deals with a voluntary leaving of the table and the Evade moves section, page 63, states that evaders can avoid leaving the table. I would be tempted to use the same interpretation for those forced to retire as those that are evading.
In this case their Ambush Point was in front of them since they had to withdraw per the requirements of an End of Act.They were now in a corner up against the edge of the table, no where near their Deployment Zone and having to withdraw again due to excess Shock from Missile Fire. The question then is do they have to move away from their attackers and off the table or could they move at 90 degrees from direction of fire to satisfy the requirement to retire. I tend to think the former as being the simplest solution, but it's odd that it's not covered in the rules.

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Probably not covered as in several hundred play test games it never happened!

However I’d say that if they’re forced off the table, then it would be group wiped out. However the intent is to allow troops to stay on the table rather than have an artificial construct of the edge of the world, so they could retire at a 90 degree angle.

Don