Command

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

khazarmac

Re: Command

Post by khazarmac »

Rich,

that is very helpful, thanks. However, can I ask you to clarify about when units can shoot and move a bit more please (I need to understand this as I'm playing Patwarg on Monday!). A unit can only shoot when it is activated, except that throwing pila is a separate "action" that can be done out of sequence. So if a leader activated a unit, he could make it move for one initiative. And then make it shoot for another initiative? If the movement of skirmishers is reduced by shooting how does one figure that in? Do you have to declare that you are moving and shooting? Or might you move, and then decide to shoot now you are in range, but what if you've used all your dice to move, so not taken into account that 1 die reduction? Cavalry can shoot at any time within their move, so again does that cost another initiative point and need to be declared at the start of the move (although their movement distance is not reduced)? And there is no reference to a reduction in movement if warriors wanted to move and shoot in the same activation?

Happy to be told I've missed the point and be directed to the relevant rule, but I'm still a but confused on this one. Thanks.

Malc

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

No problem Malc.

Essentially, the only Groups who need to drop a dice of movement to use missiles are foot skirmishers. All other Groups can throw missiles as well as moving. But don't think of Sharp Practice actions. They majority just get to throw missiles as they have been activated. That covers skirmishers, Barbarian Warriors Cavalry and Skirmish Cavalry. Only Romans and Auxulia need a separate Command Initiative (or Signa) to get them to throw Missiles as that counts as a Point of Drill which is a very specific Roman trait.

As to when do you declare this? Well, mostly you don't need to. If you move your Barbarian Mob and (let's say, for example) two Groups end their movement within 9" of some romans, they can just throw missiles. No Initiatives needed, they just do it. Mounted Warriors are the same, but the can''t throw missiles in the same move as they make contact. Foot Skirmishers are a bit different as they will lose a dice of movement if they shoot.
So, for them you roll 2D6 (in the open) move that far and then throw missiles. If you fall short of missile range then it is perfectly reasonable, and within the rules to say "I didn't get close enough to throw missiles, so I am going to use the other dice to keep moving".

Hopefully that is clear. If not, then please do let me know.

khazarmac

Post by khazarmac »

Rich, thanks, that makes a lot more sense now.

Malc

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Like all these things, it's just a case of getting into the groove and then you're off like a greyhound.

Tony S

Post by Tony S »

But Roman and auxilia MAY use Pila Drill to throw their javelins or spears if they wish (to either throw more than once or outside their turn) but they can still throw their pila or javelins during their own turn for "free" as part of a move just like barbarian warriors, correct? Or must they always use Pila drill to throw, which would cost an extra initiative or signa card?

And I presume that foot warriors may indeed throw spears, javelins and pila as part of a move to contact, because only mounted warriors are prohibited from such activities?

Sorry to be so obtuse, but just want to clarify. Only played it once so far, but everybody loved it and had a great time!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Tony,
No, I don’t think that is what Rich is saying. I believe that Roman Legionaries or Auxilia in Order or Close Order must always use the Throw Pila Drill to shoot. It is one of their defining characteristics that they only launch missiles on command, but they can do it at any point in the turn either offensively as they attack or defensively if being charged.

And yes, Foot Warriors can throw their spears offensively as they move to contact.

John