Command

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

patwarg

Command

Post by patwarg »

On page 38 it states that a unit can be only activated once per turn. Then for one command initiative laeders can:- "Activate any Group, Mob or Formation under their command and within their Command Range to move, shoot, fight in Close Combat or
change Formation or Order."
Now we are into what a comma means. Can the leader use his initiatives to get the unit to do more than one thing by using more than one command initiative? For instance can the unit be made to move and shoot? If so do skirmishers have a special activation as they can "engage an enemy with missiles sacrificing one dice of movement in order to do so"? Does this mean that one command initiative can get them to move at the reduced rate and shoot?

When non mounted skirmishers are using this ability can they fire at any point in the move as per mounted troops?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Archdukek

Re: Command

Post by Archdukek »

The rule that you can only Activate a unit once is not the same as saying that a unit can only do one thing. It just means that you cannot activate it again later in the same Turn.
For example a Leader can spend a Command Initiative to activate a group of Legionaries to move into contact with the enemy which it will then engage in Close Combat. However, he could also spend an additional Command Initiative to invoke the Tactical Drill to Throw Pila as they attack. That would all count as a single Activation.

Similarly it would be a single activation to order a Skirmisher Group to move and engage the enemy with missiles. The rules are silent on whether foot skirmishers can fire at any point in their movement. Personally I’d let skirmishers shoot then move, move then shoot, or move 1D6, shoot, then move 1D6 if they want.

John

patwarg

Post by patwarg »

Thanks for the prompt reply. It is just that I do not want to carry over Sharp Practice 2 norms into Infamy when that was not the intention. So in Sharp units can only do 2 things per turn once they are activated but here it would seem you can have any number by using Signa cards as well.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

patwarg wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:05 pm
Thanks for the prompt reply. It is just that I do not want to carry over Sharp Practice 2 norms into Infamy when that was not the intention. So in Sharp units can only do 2 things per turn once they are activated but here it would seem you can have any number by using Signa cards as well.
Yes that’s right, it’s not the same as SP. Though one might argue that playing Signa cards to have an already activated unit Throw Pila later in the Turn is not dissimilar to invoking the Sharp Practice characteristic in SP. :)

John

DougM

Post by DougM »

I confess it has me confused and i suspect I am going to need a few playthroughs to get it all worked out. Hopefully with someone with experience of playing!
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch »

You're not the only one confused.I'm still stuck in the SP frame of mind where it was clear(at least arguably so)that a unit got to do two actions when it was Activated. In Infamy! they can move two dice in the open and in open formation. What if they want to change from Open Formation to Closed formation. Rules say it's not Movement but counts as an Activation that can only be done with an Initiative from a Leader(and I think: or by using a Signa Card).
Page 38 says: "For One Command Initiative they may:
• Activate any Group, Mob or Formation under their command and within their Command Range to move, shoot, fight in Close Combat or
change Formation or Order."

So is it that a Unit can do only one of those actions or is it possible to do combinations? Since some units can Move and Shoot and You can Move into Contact and will then fight a melee, I am left confused about how many things a Unit can do when activated. Then you throw in Tactical Drill which doesn't count as an Activation and I am impressed by how very complex these rules are. Think I will need to watch more Lardies Videos by Rich to understand.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

The key thing here, and I think this is what is confusing you, is that Open and Close Order are not Formations. If you want to change formation, so let's say expand your frontage, you lose a dice from any movement. However, Order is simply how close the men are together. You must be activated to change order, the key thing about that being this it isn't a point of drill that you can do at any time with a SIgna card. However, it doesn't reduce movement. As your men move (or stand still) they just shuffle slightly to reduce or expand their frontage. It's a very simple manoeuvre and would be second nature.

So, to answer the second question, the can indeed do a combination of things. By way of example, a Formation of two Groups in Open Order, one behind the other, can move with 2D6. As it has been activated, it can also change Order 'for free'. So it moves and ends the movement in Close Order.

It could , as an alternative, move and then change Formation. So it moved with 1D6 and then expands to double its frontage, with both Groups side by side. However, once again, they can also change to Close Order at the end of their movement. Now, if the have a Leader of sufficient Status who has Command Initiative available, they can also do a point of Drill, so throwing Pila is most likely. Or that could be done with a SIgna Card.

You do need to get away from the baggage of 'Actions' in Sharp Practice because the only real Actions your main Warriors do in Infamy is move. As I say, I think the things to remember are that:

1. Changing Order is a 'freebie' whenever a Formation is activated. That's the only time you can change Order.
2. Points of Drill can be done over and above movement if you have sufficient Command Initiatives or Signa Cards. That's a peculiarly Roman bonus to reflect their more formalised training. Think of the Drill Manual as using the Sharp Practice reload/fire bonus, but rather than just that single benefit in SP, Infamy allows you to chose several things you can do.

Once you get your head around that it should be much simpler. What is sure is that the rules are not complicated once you get into the swing of it.

Rich

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch »

That clears things up a lot. Thanks for taking the time to help here. I know you must be quite busy. If they get a handle on this Epidemic, maybe I will see you at next year's Historicon.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

I do hope so. That's certainly the plan.

Very happy to assist. I enjoy answering rules questions and chewing the fat, so it's a pleasure in fact. (At least now I've got over my post-natal depressive state that I always fall into when rules are published). I think for all of us leaving Sharp behind and approaching this as something very different is quite difficult at first.

Rich

patwarg

Post by patwarg »

Thanks for the clarifications. I think the most important part of your advice is that the only action groups can really do is move and everything else is an add on requiring a Signa card or another command initiative. Once I saw that everything else fell into place.

Now back to the battlefield!