Supra Numerum Leaders

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bandrsntch

Supra Numerum Leaders

Post by bandrsntch »

I want to make sure I understand this right. Supra Numerum Leaders have no Command Initiative, but when their card(chip) come up they may activate the unit they are with. They can do this without the use of any Signa cards. They may also use Signa cards to remove Shock or activate Troop Characteristics. They cost only one point for calculating total Army Points value. They are not represented on the table by any figure but are assumed to be there. Does this sum it up correctly?

Chaingun

Re: Supra Numerum Leaders

Post by Chaingun »

Hi bandrsntch

Yes from your description that is my understanding of the Supra Numerum leaders. Also that some units in the army lists already have them and units that don’t can have one added from the support list at the cost of 1 point.

I think their is nothing wrong in putting a leader type figure within the unit to represent the Supra Numerum leader to add a little bit of flavour to the force.
https://battlebunkerblog.com Wargaming for fun :D

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Spot on!

Don

chalkboy8

Post by chalkboy8 »

Do the Supra Numerum Leaders have Numbered activation cards or only use the unnamed signa cards?

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Numbered activation cards in the deck.

Don

chalkboy8

Post by chalkboy8 »

Sorry for being a weedy cove but when teh supra numerum card is drawn, he can only activiate the unit he is attached to. In other words his card acts like a signa card but only for his particular group.

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

No, because with a signa card you can do several things. And when you activate a supra numerum leader on his card, you only can activate that unit to move, fight or shoot. You can´t rally shock, for instance. Basically, the supra numerum is the unit as a whole. Is like throwing a one in activation dice in CoC: you can only activate a team.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Think of a supra numeram as a status 0 leader with a command range of "attached unit only."

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch »

I'm trying to understand just what SN Leaders can do and cannot do. An example may help. A Unit of Roman Auxilia with Flexible Drill in Open Order are ambushed by two Groups of Levy Gauls. Because they are ambushed the SN can do nothing and can't use Signa cards. (Do I have this right?)

They survive the melee with a lot of Shock, but only one kill resulting in them being pushed back four inches. The Levy barbarians don't have the movement to follow up so the melee is done.

Subsequently, the SN's card comes up. He activates the Unit to change to Close Order. He then uses a SIgna card to have them throw pilum and then another one for them to Brace Shields in anticipation of another attack. (So is all this correct or do I have it wrong?)

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

A Supra Numerum leader commanding drilled troops can use signa cards to do drill. So if the enemy were not attacking he could throw pila or Brace as any leader could. In your ambush example they can’t do this as no leader can use signa cards to mitigate against an ambush. All the rest is totally correct but they have to take a hell of a lot of shock to retire 4” with just one man killed, as in 4 point over and above one for each man present. However, it could happen as you say.

Munin’s description is excellent. Status 0 leader with attached groups only.

To answer another point above. If you had two auxiliary groups with one SN Leader they could form a formation. It’s the troop type, not the leader type, that determines who can and cannot form formations.

Rich.