Civil War!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Corktip100

Civil War!

Post by Corktip100 »

Hi everyone,

I've bought a copy of the rules, although I'm new to any kind of ancients wargaming. I'm really interested in doing Romans vs Romans, the greatest hometown derby in history. What is the feeling, will Infamy support a civil war scenario?

John_savage_uk

Re: Civil War!

Post by John_savage_uk »

Absolutely. I’m sure this is something that Rich will explore further, but the Late Republican lists will work perfectly for Caesar v Pompey and the EIR list are ideal for AD69 Year of the 4 Emperors. One of the early public playtest games (way back when we could go to shows) presented by Rich was a Roman civil war scenario.

So yes. Absolutely!

Corktip100

Post by Corktip100 »

Hi John,

Thank you, that is good news (he types, whilst simultaneously opening both the Victrix and Osprey websites...)

Cheers!

Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Actually, the rules state that if you are in a civil war (and I suppose one could stretch that definition to intertribal warfare) you draw two Infamy cards instead of one, as I suppose the possibilities for nefarious behaviours are greater in such wars.

genew49

Post by genew49 »

Civil War! Great idea! Makes painting easier. I just have to paint one side blue and the other gray.

Corktip100

Post by Corktip100 »

You're right. The main interest for me is painting the Roman figures, I'm not so interested in painting the barbarians...

Petahpie

Post by Petahpie »

One thing I've thought about is having two different sides, praetorian guard and aux cavalry on one side, tribal allies on the other side. Would make sense if a governer from Hispania or somewhere decided he should be the emperor.

I'll have to do more research to find specific conflicts, but just a fun concept I've been playing with.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Corktip100 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:12 pm
You're right. The main interest for me is painting the Roman figures, I'm not so interested in painting the barbarians...
Paradoxically, I’d find it easier to paint Romans. There’s so little readily available on, say, Germanic tribal clothing that I could see myself disappearing down that rabbit-hole for months in search of source materials.

alanincanberra

Post by alanincanberra »

On a related topic, if the rules were used for inter tribal rivalries (with or without Roman intervention forces) how would the deployment of Ambush markers work? Would you end up with markers everywhere or ones which either side could utilise? Regards Alan

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

alanincanberra wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:44 am
On a related topic, if the rules were used for inter tribal rivalries (with or without Roman intervention forces) how would the deployment of Ambush markers work? Would you end up with markers everywhere or ones which either side could utilise? Regards Alan
Ambush markers take account of the defenders knowledge of the territory. So I’d be inclined to treat whoever is not operating on home territory like the Romans when it comes to dealing with Ambush markers.
Certainly you couldn’t use the same ambush markers for both sides since they are intended to represent troops already in position but hidden waiting to emerge.

John