Infamy, Infamy! - Errata and Queries

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

gudin

Re: Infamy, Infamy! - Errata and Queries

Post by gudin »

Question regarding Skirmish Cavalry and withdrawing...

We started our very first game and on the very second deployment had this come up.

1. I deployed Numidian Skirmisher Cavalry on a Briton Ambush point (after we mistakenly determined that my opponent was a bonehead and placed it too close to my ambush point, but then he used another one and ambushed me...)

2. He ambushed said cavalry, and in an impressive display of horrific dice got 3 hits on me with 27 dice (I saved one) as well as 4 other shock. I hit him twice which he didn't save, despite me only having 8 dice. I digress. Bottom line, the Numidian Cavalry had 4 figures left and 6 shock, so 2 excess.

7.6.3 Says "skirmishers" must withdraw 2 inches per excess shock.
7.6.6 Says "Skirmish Cavalry" must withdraw 2 inches per point of shock after one round.

While technically, Skirmishers and Skirmish Cavalry are different troop types, both paragraphs also refer to chariot mounted warriors, so if that were the case, they could both apply even if excess shock does not apply to Skirmish Cavalry. So my question is, which withdrawal should happen? Excess Shock? Obligatory Withdrawal? Both?

Thanks

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Skirmish Cavalry always withdraw after 1 Round of combat irrespective of the result - win, lose or draw. Therefore the result that applies is 7.6.6, so the Skirmish Cavalry would withdraw 12".

It's a "Self-Protection" mechanism.

Don

gudin

Post by gudin »

Cool, so because of that we ignore what they would theoretically do based on excess shock?

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Yes.

gudin

Post by gudin »

Hmm. Ok. I wish it were clearer in the rules that 7.6.6 supersedes 7.6.3.

The the issue really probably would only affect warriors mounted in chariots as skirmish cavalry are not technically “skirmishers” and thus would not fall in 7.6.3. But warriors mounted in chariots are clearly listed in both places.

To me any morale based withdrawal is a self protection mechanism in reality,

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

It's clear that Skirmish Cavalry only fight one round of combat and then withdraw 2" per point of shock, which is their primary reason to withdraw even if they didn't have excess shock. It would seem illogical that they would withdraw a lesser distance with excess shock than the distance they should withdraw with their accumulated shock.

Mounted Warriors are mentioned because they will fight two rounds of combat before their obligatory withdrawal. Therefore it is possible that they could get shock after the first round which if in excess will cause a withdrawal due to Excess shock.

However hopefully all is now clear.

Cheers

Don

gudin

Post by gudin »

I understand about mounted warriors. I was talking about warriors in chariots who are referred to in both places. In one they withdraw due to excess shock, and in the other they withdraw after one round of combat. In the same paragraph as skirmish cavalry.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

The rule for withdrawing due to excess Shock in 7.6.3 Is the general rule which applies normally which could be triggered by missile fire for example. The Obligatory Withdrawal rule in 7.6.6 is specifically for the situation post Close Combat and because it requires the units concerned to withdraw further than they otherwise would under 7.6.3 it fulfills the requirement of that rule.

Warriors in Chariots are treated the same as Skirmishing Cavalry in the latter case because they are not expected to get stuck in to melee. If they want to do that the Warriors need to dismount. Seems reasonable to me.

John

gudin

Post by gudin »

Ok, well that makes some sense, I will play it like that. I still think it could be clearer though

khazarmac

Post by khazarmac »

Quackstheking wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 am
Scorpions - It’s two dice - 1 per two men. Really useful against fortications due to it’s other effects - not so against skirmish troops in the open!
Hi, in an additional question, as the troops shooting the scorpion are warriors, am I right to presume that they only get two rounds of shooting too? To be honest, apart from shooting at fortifications, scorpions don't seem that good value for money. I can get eg. an 8 man unit of Roman Auxiliary archers for 2 points more, with 8 shooting dice and the ability to shoot overhead. 56 not 456 to hit, and shorter range, but a far more useful unit I think? And as skirmishers, they would get unlimited ammunition too.

Malc