Infamy, Infamy! - Errata and Queries

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: Infamy, Infamy! - Errata and Queries

Post by Archdukek »

Tony S wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:27 pm
While I'm not arguing against your point about throwing out the higher or lower die, as I suspect Rich would have been more explicit about the case of throwing doubles if he did mean that, I'm thinking it might be fun to try. The whole point of the TFL rules is that nothing is certain; what can be less certain than discovering that dense forest guarding your flank didn't slow down a mob of Germans who rolled double six!
Hi Tony,
I can see that it might be tempting to try something like that as part of your scenario design. However, having a 1in 6 chance of ignoring any terrain restrictions feels way too generous to me. It also somewhat undermines the value for a German player buying the Secret Way support option allowing a Mob to slip through that dense forest you thought was guarding your flank.

While I’m happy to take the credit, it was Chaingun who answered your Step Out question. :)

John

Mister Rab

Post by Mister Rab »

A quick query re: core force composition:

In the book (p80) it has the legion force with three groups of 8 legionaries, a centurion, and an optio - but Rich's youtube video has four groups of legionaries. Similarly, the auxiliary cohors peditae is listed as four groups of foot, a centurion and an optio - but the video has five groups of foot. The auxiliary cohors equitata, however, is the same in the book and the video,

Does a warlord come with their own group automatically, was there a change between video and publication, or have I missed something?

Thanks,
Stephen

Tony S

Post by Tony S »

However, having a 1in 6 chance of ignoring any terrain restrictions feels way too generous to me. It also somewhat undermines the value for a German player buying the Secret Way support option allowing a Mob to slip through that dense forest you thought was guarding your flank.
Not quite so high a chance, as the odds of getting doubles is 1 in 6, but I'd suggest getting double ones or twos aren't exactly to strike fear in the hearts of Romans. And it would indeed lessen the value of Secret Way...although Secret Way is guaranteed whereas high double rolls are subject to the whims of the dice gods, a most fickle bunch. But that's neither here nor there, as I am quite confident that I'll end up playing the rules are written and will quite enjoy them...whenever we can game again that is.
While I’m happy to take the credit, it was Chaingun who answered your Step Out question. 
Ack! My apologies Chaingun for not thanking you. Quite sloppy of me.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Mister Rab wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:29 am
A quick query re: core force composition:

In the book (p80) it has the legion force with three groups of 8 legionaries, a centurion, and an optio - but Rich's youtube video has four groups of legionaries. Similarly, the auxiliary cohors peditae is listed as four groups of foot, a centurion and an optio - but the video has five groups of foot. The auxiliary cohors equitata, however, is the same in the book and the video,

Does a warlord come with their own group automatically, was there a change between video and publication, or have I missed something?

Thanks,
Stephen
Without checking back on the videos, you may have missed Rich selecting the xtra groups using his support points. Alternatively he might have just gone with that force composition for that particular video.

You should never assume that what you see in the TFL videos supersedes what it says in the rules. Rich is only human and has been known on occasion to get a rule wrong or modify things on the fly for a better game or to demonstrate a point. :)

John

Mister Rab

Post by Mister Rab »

Thanks John - I thought that might be it, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a Leaders rule I'd missed!

Chaingun

Post by Chaingun »

No worries Tony S. I had only just read the Step Out rule just before reading your post asking about it 😂👍 All good mate.

Lee
https://battlebunkerblog.com Wargaming for fun :D

DougM

Post by DougM »

come on mate, we both played those rules after careful parsing..
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

DougM

Post by DougM »

And only the Pope is infallible, and Rich isn't the Pope. You only have to watch a few of the TFL YouTube videos to realise he gets his own rules wrong on a regular basis, and in fairness, he's far from the only rules writer to do so. Phil Barker is another classic example.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Really tiny error in the Index, under Leader Casualties.

Shown as 51, 65 but it should be 52, 62

Noggin61

Post by Noggin61 »

“Without checking back on the videos, you may have missed Rich selecting the xtra groups using his support points.”

I am not sure that you can have extra legionaries from the support lists. At least I can’t see them, unless they have been missed off like the Level II leader?